RSS feed for discuss.nubits.com

As I couldn’t find an RSS feed for discuss.nubits.com (this forum) I wondered whether it is possible to have one and if there are any reason not to have one?

Ideally it should just feed of the Latest category. It will make it a bit easier to see what is going on while on the road.

This isn’t exactly the same, but you can append .json to any discuss.nubits.com URL and get a structured response.

For example:

http://discuss.nubits.com/latest.json

I’ll look into RSS

WHAAAT no way!!! That’s so awesome. It’s like reddit.

You must see something I don’t. I only see many unclickable text links and markup fields. Do I need a plug-in for firfox or something?

You should see something similar to the screen shot below. Just ad .json to the end of discourse links. Is that what you’re seeing?

Yes. Is it like reddit?

if you add .json to the end of reddit links you will get the same thing. It’s a way to pragmatically interact with the information on the website.

for instance I will use this data at the end of the meme contest. It will allow me to grab a quick snapshot of all the current posts and the number of likes each post had. Then I can have it create a table for me to read through. This way I don’t have to worry about results changing if I tried to manually count them at the deadline.

That’s just one small example, but it opens up so many other ways to interact with the information on the forum. I have some other ideas that may prove to be useful now that I know this exists.

Ah. I see what you mean. I thought there is a plug-in that can format this json form to a human-friendly page that looks like reddit.

oh, no. sorry :smile: But using that json we could certainly make one! In fact all the topics could be automatically reposted to reddit. Lots of neat stuff can be done.

Automatically reposting the topics to reddit might lead to some confusion, but it would serve as backup in case this forum were not accessible:

I don’t think it’s a good idea. It’s not something I would implement. Was just giving another idea of how flexible this is :smile:

It might be a bad idea to replicate the topics into the http://www.reddit.com/r/NuBits/ reddit.
But I really don’t like this forum to be a kind of single point of failure for discussion.
Maybe there are better ideas than reposting the topics to reddit (even if there were a separate subreddit for that).
Anyway, a feasible backup in terms of place where to discuss in case this forum fails, would be great.

Maybe a /r/discussnubits isn’t a bad idea where we can just automatically repost all posting there for backup. Something to surely consider!

Why not. There might once be better ideas. But for now I’m grateful for everything that looks like a step forward :wink:

How about using the json format to scrape motions and custodian proposals to a separate client specifically for those? Conversely, the client could allow for the creation of motions and proposals and then post them here in a specific format so they are easily recognisable. (Is there a posting API?).
I think I might have just found a new project!

2 Likes

You are hooked at NuBits, hm?
And once more it is the right time to cross link to this post:

When I mentioned that there are other use cases I was thinking about this exact thing :smile:

I think you’ve created a far superior implementation than I was thinking though by maybe using a client. Maybe it could automatically post to reddit, discourse twitter at the same time?

I was thinking about scraping the info directly from a topic post but that would require proposals always use some format that I can assume will exist. or maybe I could operate under the assumption that if there’s a hash in a topic that has “proposal” in the topic name I can immediately associate the link to that topic with the hash. if there’s no address in the topic I can assume it’s not a custodian or motion proposal. I have a little status website I built that shows all the custodian votes. I wanted to make it so I could click on the custodian address and it would show me what the purposes of that address is.

I’d like to see a client or website that could allow people to post in a specific format. That would make things a lot easier for people to scrape the data and intemperate it properly.

Like where this thread ended up, there needs to be more discussion about datafeeds and APIs and their applications I think as they will be very important for the NuBits ecosystem. Will make another post on this one soon.

For the motions and custodial grant it can be as simple as a Google doc, PDF form or web form posted on a website. Maybe there are even better options out there.

Hope we can start with an RSS feed though :wink: Thanks Ben.

So apparently rss was added and enabled by default

http://discuss.nubits.com/latest.rss

It appears to work just like json. If you just want rss from a specific category add .rss to the end of the category name.

http://discuss.nubits.com/category/the-plaza.rss

1 Like