[ANN] Welcome to Daology!

Welcome to Daology!

We’re proud to announce the launch of Daology.org!

Daology is a content management and data service provider focused on distributed, self-governing communities who require access to actionable information.

Daology launches supporting three communities: Nu, B&C Exchange, and Peercoin. Additional communities will be added over time. With Daology you’ll be able to publicly share ideas or opinions in the form of articles and introduce proposals. You also have access to special community specific proposal options such as custodial grants and motions for Nu.

As part of the launch we’d like to invite a limited number of users to a closed testing period. The content produced during this preview can be made public, so even if you’re not involved during the test, you’ll be able to see what is released as a draft or published for public review.

Why use Daology?

We believe the existing tools available for distributed communities to govern themselves are entirely too technical, or were designed for a different purpose which leaves gaps in their effectiveness. Daology provides the tools for people of all technical levels to create content that moves organizations forward and helps members stay informed.

So what are we asking of you? It’s quite simple:

Take action.

Instead of turning to discuss.nubits.com, use Daology the next time you need to introduce a general proposal, motion, or grant request. We’re not trying to replace the forums, and we know that the best discussions occur where the NuBits community hangs out, so once you’ve created a proposal or article, post about it on discuss.nubits.com or /r/NuBits.

Be opinionated.

If you are thinking about introducing a new idea or if are going to publish a technical brief and want to share it within a community, write an article on Daology.

Help us craft the product that works for you.

We need early adopters to seed the site with content. This is an early release, so we expect that there are a few rough edges that you’ll encounter. We want to hear about your experience, so let us know what works and what doesn’t. If you need a tool or feature that isn’t yet included, suggest it. If you find a bug, tell us so we can fix it.

How to get involved

If you would like to start using Daology right now, we’d like to hear about it. To make it easy for you to let us know that you’re interested, we’ve set up a ticket on our support site for you to add a comment with your interest.

Sign me up for the preview!

During the preview period content creation is free for invited users. Please be assured that any content you create during this period will not cost you anything in the future. The Daology team strongly believes that information portability is a creator’s right – we’ve built the platform in such a way that you’ll have direct access to what you publish, whether you’re a user or not. Our pricing model will be announced after we’ve had a chance to collect your feedback during this private access period.

Follow along

You can see the new features, fixes, and updates we introduce by checking out our release notes on the Daology Support page.

We’re excited about the future and we’ve got a lot in the pipeline.

Thank you in advance for your support and feedback, and see you on Daology!

Regards,
@Ben and @Coingame

8 Likes

@CoinGame and I are interested in hearing feedback from the community about what we’ve built.

Do you think that this type of service will be useful to you? If you are unsure, what is missing that would shift it into the “useful” category?

For blockchain-based organizations, like Nu, we plan on introducing real-time voting metrics so you will be able to see at a glance how a given proposal is progressing.

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

2 Likes

I’m deeply impressed by the idea to find a lot of important information about different DAOs at one single place.
This type of organizing a business is very young and has only a very limited number of implementations, but it’s hard to follow only one of them in great detail. But it’s necessary to follow the development closely.

It’s not because in traditional stocks a lot of power gets delegated from the owners to others who decide on their behalf. This can be done e.g. by electing delegates or registering a data feed for voting as well. It’s rather because these DAOs are much more agile than traditional stocks, working around the globe, around the clock, non-stop. Owners need to keep track.

Daology has the potential to evolve into an information hub for DAOs similar to the websites that provide customers with information about (traditional) stock corporations.

At the moment Daology is populated with more or less Peercoin/Peershares related implementations. I suppose Daology is open to include all DAOs that are interested (and pay the fee once the preview period is over), right?
Do I understand the design right if I expect content to be hosted off-site (e.g. at Github) and have it aggregated to “display” and edit it via Daology in a convenient way?

:arrow_lower_right:

At the moment there is no intention for organizations to pay for being added. We’ll be adding blockchain based organizations that we feel are adding value to the field. Some new ones will be added very soon.

The content will be created and hosted on Daology, but we’ll make it easy for people to move their content around. Though there’s a lot of benefits that will be unique to reading the content on Daology. For instance we support KaTeX markup. You can see an example at the top of this test page. Notice the complex math equation? That’s generated using KaTeX. Clicking the “Raw” button at the top right will show you how it was generated. We’re going to have a lot of tools that will give content writers the ability to create high quality content. Hash’s will be generated automatically, we produce a table of contents automatically just by using proper Markdown headers. Lots of things coming down the pipeline to give people tools to express their ideas and data in high fidelity.

Awesome job. Tks for innovating in this field.
I am wondering.
Which one is more important to you guys? Distributed organization or community?
(Peercoin is not a DAO)
I guess the name of your site gives us hints.

Both are important to us, and while an argument can certainly be made for differences between the two, we’re focused on providing the tools and services that any self-governing group can benefit from.

For example, both the Nu and Peercoin communities have actions that need to be considered by their stakeholders. Peercoin may not have a blockchain voting tie-in at this point, but the community is still tasked with making decisions about the direction of the platform, just like Nu.

The tools required for a particular organization’s self-governance will diverge in the future, for example, a Peercoin proposal won’t have a blockchain analytics component that reflects how the community is voting, while Nu will benefit from the protocol’s functionality and we’ll be able to build reporting using the data published in the blockchain. At the core though, both organizations can benefit from Daology’s ability to present a proposal or an opinion in such a way that the “what” is clear.

1 Like

The organization does not exist without a community and so I don’t think one is more important than the other. They are essentially two components to the idea as a whole.

I personally disagree in saying that Peercoin is not a DAO. If you look at the Peercoin forums you see much of the same ideas and governance structures form that are in Nu. People propose ideas for change. There are people who manage different aspects and properties of the organization. Voting occurs (though it uses the forum rather than a blockchain). The communities themselves are more similar than they are different and the goals overlap in many ways.

1 Like

Ah dang I literally watched Ben’s reply pop up as I hit reply.

Perhaps daology might want to add a disclaimer that in practice it will focus heavily on peercoin derivatives because bitcoin can be regarded as a self-governing community or any crypto currency project per se.

The tools that we build will be beneficial to many types of distributed organizations. We’re not focusing on a specific type. Though we have started with some features that are specifically beneficial to Nu and B&C which is motion and custodian proposal types.

1 Like

We don’t plan on focusing only on Peercoin derivatives. We’re starting with Nu, B&C, and Peercoin because we know those communities better than others, being intimately associated with their development and communities, but we’ll be expanding our supported organization list quite a bit over the next few weeks to include both crypto-related offerings (Bitcoin, Ethereum, etc. ) and non-crypto (some of the larger open source software projects) alike.

1 Like

I think it’s beautiful so far. Handled my email being private at GitHub too. :smile:

I opened an issue about a rendering problem.

We’ve done a lot of testing, but there’s still a lot of polish needed clearly. Thanks for submitting the report, @Ben in looking into it!

1 Like

will this include something like Roll-your-own-DAC? I know anyone can start another peershares based dac/dao, if they have the skills, this is where help is needed imo

Not at this time. We have a list of features and improvements to roll out over the coming weeks and months. Once we’re at a good place with growth and features we can revisit concepts like this.

That is what I wanted to ask, too. Providing minting farms could be a business at daology at some point?

Cool! I noticed the RIPEMD-160 hash. Is or will a history of edits be kept?

Did I use the correct type by the way? Article vs Proposal.

The type looks fine. Articles won’t have any proposal specific meta data or the hash shown. It really depends on what you prefer. We’ll hopeful have documentation regarding all the differences soon.

Pushing content to github so changes are tracked will be coming soon. We just have to do some reliability and UI updates first. Most of the code for it is already complete though.

1 Like

I want to use Daology for a motion. Is it ready for that or should I PM @assistant motion hash <motion> for now? I’m struggling with manually verifying the RIPEMD-160 given by Daology. Which text exactly is hashed? Clicking the button “Raw” includes the Daology footer. Could endlines be screwing with my copy–pasting?

Instructions would be appreciated, but I’m aware you’re working on them (and a lot).

Hmmm i’m curious about the hashing issues. I just pinged you on gitter, lets talk in a chatroom about it