[ANN] Welcome to Daology!

#Daology is now open to everyone

@Ben and I are happy to announce that Daology.org is available for everyone to use. All you’ll need is a Github account to login.

Here’s a quick rundown of some content features that you have access to.

Markdown editor

You can create content using Markdown with some support for Github Flavored Markdown.

KaTeX support

We also support KaTeX right in the editor. Try out the following in our editor:

$$$
c = \pm\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}
$$$

or inline

$$c = \pm\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}$$

We want the math lovers to express their ideas in a way that’s natural. KaTeX support helps them do just that.

Tags

Organize your ideas even further by creating a unique tag, tags relevant to an organization, or a general tag to help your content be found among other similar items.

Content ID

Every piece of content on Daology is identified by using a unique hash. By sharing this hash anyone can find your content on Daology.

Thank you

We would like to thank everyone who helped us test the software during the private preview period. Once again if you have any question, comments, or need support there are various ways to contact us.

We have many more features and improvements coming soon. With your feedback we hope Daology becomes a great tool for distributed communities to organize and share their ideas.

2 Likes

Please add comments with something like https://disqus.com/ or provide a place for the author to set a link to the discussion in a external forum.

It is too cold in there :pensive:

We will be adding a means to connect articles and proposals to all the places that the content is being discussed. Social media, forums, and some even deeper integrations that will have a big impact on the content generated on Daology. That stuff is going to take a bit more time.

I will tease that we will be releasing two features very soon. Search (being able to find content based on its body hash, full text search, content ID, and title). Also, tying content to existing content items that we call “responses”. You’ll be able to quickly see all the articles/proposals relevant to an existing article/proposal.

Then after that who knows. It would be cool to see the live voting statistics of your proposal right on the proposal page/card wouldn’t it? :wink: Lots of cool stuff is coming, but keep up with the suggestions if you have any!

This would be really useful. Real-time data visualization was our plan for phase 3 of nubits.com, but it was delayed when funding ran low.

One easy suggestion might be to add a “views” counter on each article. I’m always curious how many people have read each entry.

analytics are on the list. I can’t say for sure when it will go live but i’m with yah. We want to offer as much relevant stats as we can.

We’re proud to announce the release of Daology v1.3.0, and the introduction of a new feature, “Responses”. Check out the details in the release notes and we’ll be here to discuss the release if you have any questions. Thank you for using Daology!

1 Like

v1.3.0

New Feature: Responses

You now have the ability to “respond” to articles and proposals! You can respond to an article or proposal that you’re reading by clicking the “Respond” button at the top of the page, or while editing your existing content by adding the ID of the item you’d like to respond to.

Bug Fixes

Fixed an issue where the sidebar table of contents was not highlighting the section of the content currently being viewed.

1 Like

Writing a proposal on daology using a mobile device is probably the worst user experience I’ve ever had. Just as an example: you have to hit spacebar twice between all words or all your words will just be one big long word. As another example, if you type something mid-line it will put the cursor behind the letters you type, meaning you have to type backwards. It blew me away how unusable it is for a simple word processor.

1 Like

Ah yeah that clicking space thing twice is incredibly annoying. Though if you hit space three times it automatically adds a period and a space for you. Does that make up for it? Kidding :slight_smile: It’s probably a default setting of the editor we use. I’m not able to see the cursor issue on android chrome. Do you have more information about the platform and application you’re browsing from?

Also, it would be helpful if you submitted these issues using the bug icon in the top left of daology. It will very conveniently open up a prompt to our github issues page with the URL you’re on, your user agent string, and a place for you to describe the issue. Much easier to keep track from there and that extra information is really helpful to us.

1 Like

You can set the proposal status on daology to “draft” in the editor screen and it won’t display the hash. It will also automatically add a “draft” warning to the top of the proposal.

Great! Thx. Will do that. I was not sure whether it’s visible then. I had some trouble with “private” proposals - although it’s on second thought quite obvious that “private” proposals are not publicly visible :wink:

You can read about the different status types here: https://daology.org/u/coingame/articles/8c499287339772491accc390e056ede0bc56a547#-content-status

Oh! Very helpful. Would be nice to find it here: https://daology.org/about or in a https://daology.org/how2use section.

Agreed. Admittedly there’s a lot of things that could be improved right now. Not to make any promises or statements on timelines but focus regarding daology has shifted to rebuilding the platform for a 2.0 release. But I think this is a small change we could include somewhere to help users.