Nu 2.0 release now on test net

Our 2.0 release has been deployed to test net and the protocol switch date has passed. This release contains a number of important protocol changes. Here is a description of the changes pennybreaker has compiled:

• Permit NuShare custodians - The custodian system now permits NuShare custodians. This process is exactly the same as with NuBits, except NuShares are granted to an NSR address.

• Protocol voting - Clients now vote for their protocol version. Each version of the reference client has a protocol version number hard coded in it. This number is placed on the blockchain in the coinstake transaction when a block is minted, similar to how other votes are cast. This vote is not user configurable, so it has no user interface components. When 90% of the last 2000 blocks have voted to increment the protocol version AND any applicable date criteria for the protocol change is met, the protocol will change. If the percentage of the last 2000 blocks voting for a protocol version falls back below 90% threshold, no action will be taken. The protocol version in effect cannot be decremented.

• Change maximum interest rate increase/decrease – This enhancement changes the maximum interest rate rise from 1% per 1440 blocks to a per block rise of 0.002% and enforces a maximum per block interest rate decrease of 0.004%.

• Propagate the liquidity identifier through the network – This enhancement changes the ‘getliquidityinfo’ RPC to now contain a liquidity tier breakdown and also a custodian breakdown. In addition, a new RPC (‘getliquiditydetails’) will return liquidity info of all the identifiers of each custodian.

• Make park rates effective 60 blocks after the actual vote – As originally designed, parking rates are determined based on the rates published for the block that contains a parking transaction. This change uses the rate from 60 blocks in the past. This will permit the parking rates to be known 60 blocks into the future.

• Dynamic fee – This enhancement permits shareholders to vote to set transaction fees. The median vote is the fee. Transaction fees are also set using the fee from 60 blocks in the past. The client uses the highest fee to be charged in the next 10 blocks. Default transaction fees equal to the current transaction fees are applied if there is no transaction fee vote for a particular currency in the majority of share days for the voting period of 2000 blocks.

@pennybreaker will be coordinating community testing and he will post more information about this soon.

When we are confident the release is stable and working as designed it will be promoted and deployed to the production network.

Here are the download links (please be careful not to use these on the production network):

Download Nu 2.0 for Windows
Download Nu 2.0 for Linux

12 Likes

Does it imply you need to burn the undistributed NSRs as discussed here ?

If I’m not mistaken, this shouldn’t happen until v2.0 has been deployed to the production network and enough people have upgraded for the protocol vote switch to take place. As Jordan has pointed out, only our testnet has made the switch and the test binaries should be kept off of the production network until testing is complete.

Since the switch has already taken place on testnet, it should not take us very long to complete validation of the remaining changes, but the next step is to recruit some community volunteers. I would like to help build this community testing group into a productive and self sufficient quality assurance team. We will be publicly discussing and creating test criteria for each feature and conducting tests that require organized participation of multiple people. If you happen to be interested in getting involved, here are a few steps you can take to get started …

• Download the binaries that Jordan posted above and start syncing the testnet. You can connect to the testnet by adding the following lines to your nu.conf file:

testnet=1
addnode=198.52.200.26
addnode=198.52.199.30
addnode=62.210.25.6

• PM me with a few testnet NSR addresses. I will make sure that you have plenty to test with.

• Sign up for a free account at bitbucket.org so that you may comment on code repository issues and pull requests. I will be posting a list of all the current issues for your review.

More info to come soon.

2 Likes

I am interested in helping out. I will give a try to the test client.

1 Like

Hi,

two questions:

1. Is there an interface to see the current fees on the network?
  2. How do you decide which unit is emitted when voting on a custodian grant?

Willy

Lets get to voting and see if we can figure that out. Willy, how about you be our first NSR custodian? Post an address and amount and everyone should should vote for it.

Currently there’s only the getinfo RPC that returns the current fee in paytxfee.

By putting a custodian address in this unit.

I’m voting for these fees at the moment:

NSR: 5
NBT: 0.05

The motion pertaining to burning undistributed NSR requires that it be burned within 60 days of when NSR grants are implemented on the production network. That hasn’t happened yet, but it will soon, which will start the 60 day countdown. The number of NSR to be burned (assuming no auction is mandated before the burn) is 172,368,982 NSR.

The purpose of waiting up to 60 days is to give time for an NSR grant to be made for the purpose of defending the NuBit peg. Selling NSR for NBT which is then burned is an important method of defending the peg. I hope a group of trusted identities request an NSR grant to a multisig address in an amount that approximates the maximum quantity of NSR that might need to be sold in a two week period to defend the NuBit peg in a worst case scenario. Two weeks is long enough for debate and a vote for further NSR grants if needed. 40 million NSR might be a reasonable number, although that will be a number for the community to debate and determine.

3 Likes

So the client knows that b addresses get nbt and S addresses get nsr?

Please give me your monies (nushares)
sfG6GpAqKpjmKhYtDsTmw3SodEFh824oqx , 1337

Correct, sir.

Voted.

Quick question: minimum share age for minting on testnet was…?

It should mint after about 12 hours.

Oookay. Then I might need a few more NSR with this pos diff (31!!)

Sent.

1 Like

Folks,
Here are the BitBucket issues we’re currently looking into for your review. The discussion in each of these links should reveal most of the requirements that we must validate for each feature change/addition.

Issue #134: Change maximum interest rate increase/decrease

Issue #154: Propagate the liquidity identifier through the network
enhancement

Issue #165: Dynamic fee

Issue #167: Make park rates effective 60 blocks after the actual vote

Issue #180: Permit NuShare custodians and burning transactions

Issue #184: Handle future vote versions properly

With regard to issue #180, we should all be voting for willy’s NSR grant, which is: sfG6GpAqKpjmKhYtDsTmw3SodEFh824oqx , 1337

When I run ‘getcustodianvotes’ I see that it has quite a ways to go before passage …

},
“sfG6GpAqKpjmKhYtDsTmw3SodEFh824oqx” : {
“1337.00” : {
“blocks” : 554,
“block_percentage” : 5.54,
“sharedays” : 369743621,
“shareday_percentage” : 14.54576634
}

If you have time, please browse through the issues. If you notice any behaviour in your test client that is or isn’t consistent with the discussion in the issues, post your findings here so we can discuss.

1 Like

Hey guys,

I noticed that the fees I voted for have taken affect:

NSR …

{
“version” : “v2.0.0-Test1-beta”,
“protocolversion” : 2000000,
“walletversion” : 1,
“walletunit” : “S”,
“balance” : 23889025.0,
“newmint” : 0.0,
“stake” : 860128.0,
“parked” : 0.0,
“blocks” : 384336,
“moneysupply” : 1015354445.0,
“connections” : 2,
“proxy” : “”,
“ip” : “”,
“difficulty” : 17.21658551,
“testnet” : true,
“keypoololdest” : 1407175948,
“keypoolsize” : 101,
“paytxfee” : 5.0,
“unlocked_until” : 0,
“errors” : “”
}

And NBT …

{
“version” : “v2.0.0-Test1-beta”,
“protocolversion” : 2000000,
“walletversion” : 1,
“walletunit” : “B”,
“balance” : 19580506.3269,
“newmint” : 0.0,
“stake” : 0.0,
“parked” : 0.0,
“blocks” : 384338,
“moneysupply” : 601769963.67840004,
“totalparked” : 2257.0,
“connections” : 2,
“proxy” : “”,
“ip” : “”,
“difficulty” : 17.21220503,
“testnet” : true,
“keypoololdest” : 1411232075,
“keypoolsize” : 100,
“paytxfee” : 0.05,
“unlocked_until” : 0,
“errors” : “”
}

I sent three transactions to make sure it’s charging the correct fee. One NBT transaction, one small NSR transaction, and one large NSR transaction to make sure it’s charging the fee per kb.

NBT …

{
“account” : “”,
“address” : “bF35SEhBsjxL8W5FJF4T15cPBo7q8FS6iv”,
“category” : “send”,
“amount” : -1000.0,
“fee” : -0.05,
“confirmations” : 9,
“blockhash” : >“adc5dd8f2c836785056727bf4652f90ee2e4ee9365e73489bae61679c6f894df”,
“blockindex” : 2,
“txid” : “d923b5f2bc3af1353bde6f33d3600ccb05ed62702ec9ead4b96ec8296b98df51”,
“time” : 1436580141
}

NSR small …

{
“address” : “sfG6GpAqKpjmKhYtDsTmw3SodEFh824oqx”,
“amount” : -10000.0,
“fee” : -5.0,
“confirmations” : 0,
“txid” : “2d79ae0e3b517f2e1fe9a7059b44311c4ccc962dfd1339fb1ecf41c5566f51b7”,
“time” : 1436580240
},

NSR large …

{
“address” : “sWYasdjgBGEsdX8ox19x9dozcLLcrmgT7d”,
“amount” : -1000000.0,
“fee” : -70.0,
“confirmations” : 0,
“txid” : “d8fccc65f1f537d1e4fea75337da3121c628d632d32a9b3f7952cb770861303d”,
“time” : 1436580308
}

I now plan to remove the fee vote to make sure the fee returns to normal.

I also noticed that willy’s NSR grant is only about 30% … I’m going to send more NSR to each of you to hopefully speed the process up.

2 Likes

I guess I know the answer to the following questions already, but I’ll try anyway:

Is a testnet explorer available?
If no, can we port our existing main net explorer to testnet? Blockexplorer.nu doesn’t seem to be open source, unfortunately.

1 Like

We had one but it does not seem to be available. Let me see if I can get that fixed.

All,
There is a new test build that includes the mandatory fix from v1.2. You may have noticed that your test client stopped syncing. This is the reason. Please update your test clients.

Windows: https://bitbucket.org/JordanLeePeershares/nubit/downloads/nu-2.0.0-Test2-win-gitian.zip

Linux: https://bitbucket.org/JordanLeePeershares/nubit/downloads/nu-2.0.0-Test2-linux-gitian.zip

@JordanLee I’m updating the download links in your original post.

pb

1 Like