Is it possible to run NuBits on a Raspberry Pi?

Hello,

Is it possible to run a full NuBits node on my Raspberry Pi headless? If this is possible, does someone have instructions on how to do so?

Thanks

yes, CoinGame makes the raspberry binaries, Can I install the 0.5.4 wallet on raspberry pi?

Do you know if this is an idiot proof guide lol? Kinda new to all this.

Yeah I got it working really well. Itā€™s headless but thatā€™s ok. As I remember theres a dependency or two that I found a bit tricky. The best thing to do is follow a guide for compiling the bitcoin wallet this should get you started.

If you post errors up here Iā€™ll see if I can help and other folks are really helpful here too

1 Like

Headless is exactly what I am looking for. Do you by chance have a how to guide like the one found on the peercoin forums: https://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2800.msg25048#msg25048

I donā€™t have a how to Iā€™m afraid but itā€™d certainly be good to have one. Iā€™m in new Zealand and itā€™s getting on a bit. If you can hold out until tomorrow Iā€™ll see what I can write up for you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Perfect, thanks so much.

ok here goes. Iā€™m sure this guide isnā€™t absolutely perfect and youā€™ll probably end up installing things you donā€™t need but hopefully in the end itā€™ll get it up and running. Iā€™m afraid I do somewhat fluff my way through this stuff, but iā€™ve always got it happening sooner or later.

Iā€™m assuming you know your way round the terminal a bit?

1. Youā€™ll need this file https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B96pmq-lU9NQUTBwM19XUWw3OFk/view?usp=sharing
2. save that on your pi somewhere. I just popped mine in a ā€˜nubitsā€™ folder on my desktop.
3. This bit is taken from a guide to compile bitcoin on a pi:

ā€“ Update all existing software on the Pi (one line at a time)
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

ā€“ Install the prerequisites required for compilation (one line at a time)
sudo apt-get install checkinstall subversion git git-core build-essential

sudo apt-get install libssl-dev libdb+Ā±dev libminiupnpc-dev

sudo apt-get install libboost-dev libboost-system-dev libboost-filesystem-dev libboost-program-options-dev libboost-thread-dev

4. This bit is taken from this thread: Binaries for RaspberryPi or other ARM devices?

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libminiupnpc.so.5 /usr/lib/libminiupnpc.so.10

5 At this point Iā€™d probably go in to your nubits folder and run ./ARMnudv5.4 I think thatā€™s the filename you downloaded in step 1?

Youā€™re probably going to get some errors here. Post them up here (or copy them to google, this is pretty much how I got mine running). Still post anything up here and we can tidy this guide up in the end so thereā€™s a really easy way for people to install.

Iā€™ll be in and out the house today but Iā€™ll keep an eye on this and help when i can :slight_smile:

Oh and anybody that knows more about this than me please feel free to correct me.

3 Likes

Nothing to correct but just to add an optional step which makes the handling of the client much easier:

• copy the client to a location in the PATH and ensure permission:
    sudo cp ARMnudv5.4 /usr/bin/nud && sudo chmod a+x /usr/bin/nud
  • let it run in server mode, accepting commands via rpc:
    mkdir -p ~/.nu; echo "daemon=1" >> ~/.nu/nu.conf; echo "server=1" >> ~/.nu/nu.conf; echo "rpcuser=nupi" >> ~/.nu/nu.conf; echo "rpcpassword=xxx" >> ~/.nu/nu.conf;

Now you can start Nu by just running nud wherever you are and access a method by calling nud method. It furthermore keeps running when you log out of the ssh session.

1 Like

Thatā€™s really helpful thanks. Iā€™m still running it from the folder. Iā€™ll update my install with this

I followed this guide (with creonā€™s additions) on a Raspberry Pi 2 B. After all is done I run nud and I get this error:

bash: /usr/bin/nud: Permission denied

Working or not, this thing is really cool!

sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/nud

adding this in my post above, thanks!

1 Like

Thanks a lot! ā€œNu server startingā€

it can take a while to download the blockchain. I had to keep restarting the pi as it would crash a bit. Just be patient with it though, it does get there

Yes it is progressing. I am getting about 250 blocks/min. The next thing I would like to do is have it run nud when the pi boots up/I log in. I tried adding a line for nud to /etc/rc.local, but I do not think the system can see the nu.conf file at that point in the boot process. I saw a message that I needed to add an rpcuser and rpcpassword, which I already have.

*please forgive any current and future linux noob lingo out of me

This is perhaps still useful for setting up a Raspberry pi from the very beginning

You can just cut and paste commands from Tea42ā€™s scripts.