BitMessage replacement

I hope this isn’t going to be a problem for the launch. I can imagine thousands of people trying to contact Jordan at the same time and nobody gets through.

Heh, how is that going to be handled? I’m somewhat confused as to how the state of NuShare distribution is progressing.

I followed Sentinel’s advice and left the computer on overnight. The “waiting for encryption” message has been replaced by “Message sent, waiting for acknowledgement”

Does anyone mind sending a message to me at BM-2cUKPWfUrDkXKJYzGUWk9UdT5N514aiJ4N

I have a feeling that Bitmessage is not working for me.

Thanks

Hello, Hibero

I will send you a test message shortly. My experience is that when I send a message it says it is: (a) waiting for encryption; (b) message sent, waiting for acknowledgement; © acknowledgement received.

It takes a day or two between each stage. The trick, I find, is to leave your computer on overnight, with Bitmessage running.

So far, I have not received a reply back from anyone I have sent a test message to - I guess they are going through the same process, in reverse.

I had similar issues, but lateley BM seems to run fine. I’ve been in contact with several people and the messages went through smoothly from what I can tell.
@Hibero I sent you a message via BM
@RobertLloyd I’d do the same for you if you provided me with a BM address :wink:

Thanks, MoD, my bitaddress is:
BM-2cV2uo1YwXKkWDtBT5AgVqbVnhzRXD52de

Hibero
After a delay, I sent you a message. My bitmessage panel gives the following status:
“Sending public key request. Waiting for a reply. Requested at Tue, 23 Sep 2014 12.07pm”

I will update you here with changes in the status of the message, so you have a sense of what is happening

Escape the broadcast flood: get PyBitmessage 0.4.4 source at https://github.com/Bitmessage/PyBitmessage/archive/ProtoV3.zip
Compiling instructions: https://bitmessage.org/wiki/Compiling_instructions

1 Like

Thanks irritant for the heads up

That is good news. Hoping for a trusted Windows binary.

If you install pyBitmessage you can run it well with only python sources. No compiling needed. See instruction at https://bitmessage.org/wiki/Compiling_instructions#Windows

Thanks @mhps I looked at it, but appeared very complicated to me (all the dependencies). Might check again over the weekend when I have a bit more time to experiment

I thought it was complicated but as it turned out I got it going in 15min because all dependencies (python 2.7, ssl and qt) were simple to install. With the zip file you don’t need to use git to download source code. Just unpack it anywhere…

1 Like

Hibero
About a day ago, the message changed to waiting for encryption

Robert, about 6 hours ago I turned on BM and got your message.

For those of you that may have sent me BMs over the last couple of weeks, I’m receiving them more frequently now. Last message that came in appears to have been sent about 15 days ago… so slowly catching up.

No idea why I’m seemingly so far behind, I leave the damn thing on all the time… :confused:

Wow, tonight I had four messages arrive in my inbox. These were all sent at different times, so they are obviously being held up somewhere. I can only suggest that people leave their computers on for a day or two at a time … and wait

…or try to follow irritant’s hint:

The compiling instructions are a great guide for either running the bitmessage code interpreted by Python or to compile an executable.
This can be done by people who don’ do such things regularly, really!

i installed v 0.4.3 on win and i could send a message and get it acknowledged right away, not sure if this situation is sustainable though…