BitMessage replacement

Thanks sportscliche. I still haven’t received your test message (or my own test messages)

Maybe there should be a backup method of contact.

I sent you one as well, mhps.

Got it. So the network is up (for now).

I sent a Bitmessage, too.
Status: Message sent. Waiting for acknowledgement.Sent on…(2 hours ago).
That sounds like the message has been sent successfully.
Or can the acknowledgement fail in any way?

@mhps can you reply to my test message please? I’m at BM-2cUrP9Vv2CpoCqEchiw619AruDxF9Qqpzo

@sportscliche I sent you a message via Bitmessage as well. I’d like to kindly ask you to respond to it once you’ve received it. I want to find out whether or not Bitmessage is feasible for exchanging messages…

[edit]
I received your acknowledgement ; seems to work - at least sometimes :wink:
[/edit]

Feel free to send me one, I’ll respond ASAP.

BM-2cVAi4CXgjNGCkfpZ4K3hfbNsWQ55QNYnH

I’ve successfully communicated with mhps, Yurizhai, and masterOfDisaster using BitMessage. Turnaround has been within minutes. If anyone else wishes to test, please feel free to send me a message.

yes please, to send me a BM @ BM-2cXJBd8z6fQvCknFxzLFtRUcZMyCefX7N3

I have downloaded bitmessage but there is no launch icon. I am reopening bitmessage each time by finding the application file and clicking on run - is that right?

@RobertLloyd I don’t think BitMessage creates a menu icon on install. What operating system do you have? I’m not a Windows user, but I know there are various methods to make a launcher linked to the app file. Same for Linux, although this will vary depending on the distro, specifically the desktop environment. Someone else should know about OSX.

Is the Bitmessage open source?

I think we can intergrate the bitmessage into our Nu wallet, and charge fee on every message. In this way, the spams issue will be resolved, and the fee rate is voted by Nushare holders if someone try to ruin/disturb this system in spite of some cost. For example, we can raise the fee to 1Nubit in urgency although 0.01Nubits sound good in common time.

Goodness is that the revenue is for Nu sysyem thus we can make profit to support Nubits buying liquidity. Some people may dislike not-free BM, but to keep private, we should pay something.

1 Like

I would like to suggest https://heml.is/ only too bad it is just for iphone/android , and beta, so it isnt really a good recommendation at the moment, but im mentioning it anyway because im big fan of brokep (and we should support him)

Yes, it’s open source (github/pybitmessage) and we could conceivably fork it and adapt it to work on our network. If I had my choice, it would include these modifications:

• it would be extended to use NuBits as the base currency,
  • would only use the Tor network to transfer information through the block chain (or another proxy of the user’s choice, but Tor by default)
  • would do a better job of handling group messages (at least showing me, on my own client, who I sent a message to)
  • would do a far better job of displaying the status of the network and where you were with synching
  • potentially do away with the “broadcast” message concept, because that seems to be a major problem with the current BM infrastructure.

Those are just the inprovements off the top of my head.

1 Like

I ll add : flood protection. And an integration that lets you send messages to certain address only by Proof of Parking :slight_smile:

That’s great! Hope you do that work after release.

I use Windows. I am finding Bitmessage very haphazard, sometimes it does not open. When it does, outgoing messages say they are waiting for an encryption key

Yes, same here and sometimes I have to double click my app several times to try to get it to open. Also, I was receiving the waiting for encryption key message, but I decided to just leave the app open for a couple days and it finally sent. But this is definitely not reliable.

I have been shutting off the computer each night. I will leave it on for the next two days, with bitmessage active, and see if I get through

I remmeber the BM network nodes will keep undelivered message for two days. Messageolder than two days won’t get relayed.