[1.0.1] OS X Client Crashes When Fetching Feed

Hello, Nu Developers.

The recent 0.5.4 Nu Client supports data feeds. But, when I try to enter a feed, it crashes once I click “OK” and it begins to fetch the JSON data. The feed data seems to be persisting because, once I open the wallet again, it crashes within 60 seconds when it tries to fetch the feeds in the background (I’m guessing.)

I’m using the OS X client and am currently running v10.7.5. Are any other users experiencing this?

cc/ @Ben @SkullandHeadphones

Thanks in advance!

[EDIT: added link to mandatory upgrade thread.]

Hi @cookrn,

This is the first report I’ve hard of this problem.

I had not tried the app on a machine running 10.7.x (it was built on a 10.8.5 machine) so there’s a possible chance that it is environment related rather than a problem with the client, but let’s see if we can isolate the problem.

First thing I’ll need is the URL for the feed you are trying to enter. If I can get it to work on my development and production machines without a problem, I’ll see if I can build a new VM with 10.7.5 on it and try to replicate.

If I can reproduce it, we can take a look at the debug.log file that is generated and see what’s going on behind the scenes that is causing the crash.

Thank you for letting me know about this.

Ben

@cookrn, do you have an update? Please send me the URL for the feed you are trying to use when it is convenient for you.

Thank you.

Thanks for following up, @Ben. The feeds were those specified by @cryptog here.

Great. I’ll use that URL to try to replicate the behavior this afternoon.

I’m seeing the same issue on 10.9.5. I’ll bring it up with @sigmike

I’m not seeing the issue on 10.10. Building a clean 10.8.5 VM to see if it’s related to any sort of dependency that may or may not have been loaded on my 10.10 machine.

Afternoon Update:

A fresh OSX 10.8.5 (no updates run) with Nu 0.5.4 is able to accept and track against data feeds without crashing. We’re digging in deeper on @CoinGame’s system to see if we can identify the culprit because it isn’t something that is readily apparent.

I understand that my setup is old as far as an OS is concerned. If that’s the reason things are breaking and it works without incident on decently new versions, I’d totally get it if you just said “upgrade please :smile:”.

Let me know!

If that was the case, I’d suggest it, but @CoinGame experienced the same crash on a 10.9.5 machine, so it’s something other than just “please upgrade”.

Are you comfortable on the command line? If so, could you a command and post the output here, please?

curl --version

Yep!

curl 7.21.4 (universal-apple-darwin11.0) libcurl/7.21.4 OpenSSL/0.9.8z zlib/1.2.5
Protocols: dict file ftp ftps gopher http https imap imaps ldap ldaps pop3 pop3s rtsp smtp smtps telnet tftp
Features: AsynchDNS GSS-Negotiate IPv6 Largefile NTLM SSL libz

Awesome. Thank you.

A few more questions to help us narrow down the cause.

1. Can you please send me the error log that is generated when the application crashes? I’d like to confirm that what you’re seeing contains the same stack trace that @coingame sent to me.

2. Could you also please send me a copy of the output of your system information? Here are the instructions for how to generate that report on 10.7.

3. Are you able to run Nu 0.5.3-RC3 and use the data feeds without having the application crash? You can safely run it concurrent with the 0.5.4 versions on the network for a short time as long as you aren’t minting with it. CG is able to successfully add data feeds to that version of Nu without crashing on the same machine that he’s having issues with 0.5.4 on.

Here we go:

1. Is there anything in the debug log I should be concerned about before uploading somewhere?
  2. See here
  3. See here. I did not proceed past that error.

Is that helpful? Thanks!

If this is the Apple-generated error log, there shouldn’t be anything in there that would be a problem. Rather than publishing it to the entirety of the Internet, however, if you’d like to send it to me directly, you can email it to ben at cryptoassure.com.

The memory issue is a new one, too, but it has me wondering if the two are related in any way. I’m going to tune down my VM’s memory settings and see how low I can get it before I generate the same message. From your system profile it looks like you have 4GB of RAM which should be more than enough, but I don’t know what else you had running at the same time that may have resulted in a low memory condition.

We’ll keep digging. Thank you for sending those files and reporting that second issue.

Thanks for sticking with me, @Ben! I sent a compressed version of the log to your email address.

Hi, @Ben! Just wanted to follow up here and see if you’d had any thoughts on potential fixes or work-arounds?

Nothing to report back yet, unfortunately. I’m still trying to replicate it under different conditions to try to isolate the problem. Originally I thought it may be related to the version of OpenSSL or Curl installed on the machine, but even when @CoinGame updated his VM’s versions of those two libraries to match what I used on the machine that compiled the Nu binary he was seeing the same problem.

I should have more time this week to dig in further. I’ll compile a new test release on a different OSX machine, too, so we can try to see if that makes any difference.

Wanted to update that I installed v1.0.1 today and this issue is still occurring. Is there any way I can help debug here, @Ben?

I think I need to go through with the OS upgrade to Yosemite regardless so maybe I’ll make do without datafeeds until then and check in after if I notice an issue.

Thanks again for all the work you’ve done to help up to this point!