The Day when Nu blockchain size is of the dozen Gb

Bitcoin is not self-contained -
You cannot mine on a single CPU, nor can you store your bitcoin on your single laptop.
You have to trust others, and that fate destroys Satoshi original design:

We have proposed a system for electronic transactions without relying on trust. We started with
the usual framework of coins made from digital signatures, which provides strong control of
ownership, but is incomplete without a way to prevent double-spending. To solve this, we
proposed a peer-to-peer network using proof-of-work to record a public history of transactions
that quickly becomes computationally impractical for an attacker to change if honest nodes
control a majority of CPU power. The network is robust in its unstructured simplicity. Nodes
work all at once with little coordination. They do not need to be identified, since messages are
not routed to any particular place and only need to be delivered on a best effort basis. Nodes can
leave and rejoin the network at will, accepting the proof-of-work chain as proof of what
happened while they were gone. They vote with their CPU power, expressing their acceptance of
valid blocks by working on extending them and rejecting invalid blocks by refusing to work on
them. Any needed rules and incentives can be enforced with this consensus mechanism.

Extracted from: https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf

Question: what if Nu has the same fate? from the minting and storing point of view

1 Like

How much faster will Nu’s blockchain grow than Peercoin? That’s one of the major points about Peercoin is its small blockchain, but I’m not sure how Nu compares. What is the current size of Nu? I believe Peercoin is around 400 MB now.

I used to think that version voting can make hard-coded checkpoints as decentralized and trust-less as the POS it self, how far am i from being right on this? Couldn’t checkpoints reduce the blockchain size and consider some block as the new genesis block ?

1 Like