Edit 17-Jan: See proposal here: https://discuss.nubits.com/t/discussion-nudroid-trusted-server-svr1-second-period/3277/6
Without wanting to hi-jack Willy's thread I thought it would be the right moment to raise attention for the 'svr1' server which NuDroid relies on since December 2014. Svr1 hosts the blockexplorer nubitsexplorer.nu and act as a backend server for NuDroid.
The original grant mentioned the following:
Termination of service
After 12-15 months the Custodian will gauge the appetite of the Nushares
stakeholders whether they like to invest in continuation of this
service and with that continue to cover the maintenance fee for another
12-18 months after the agreed 18 months period. When this is not the
case notifications on the NuBits forum will appear before the service is
shut down and at least 1 month in advance. Transfer of hosting services
to another Custodian is also an option after this 18 month period.
We are now in month 13 and I like to hear feedback from the Shareholders about the continuation of this server. Together with "Anton" both servers are setup as backup for each other in the NuDroid client (also called hot failover).
The current server runs on a very limited infrastructure (1Gb memory, 1 CPU, 20Gb SSD) for about 10 NBT/month. It also has Cloudflare PRO level protection and SSL certificates to prevent easy hi-jacks/imposters.
Given the current issues it has with the Nu daemon I suggest that we upgrade to a 2Gb, 2 CPU server at double the cost rather sooner than later.
A proposal grant for another half year would look as follows:
- Server 2Gb, 2CPU 20 NBT x 6 months = 120 NBT
- Cloudflare PRO 12,50 NBT/month x 6 = 75 NBT (shared subscription with LiquidBits)
- Operator fee 30 NBT x 6 months = 180 NBT (covering updates/backups/monitoring etc.)
Total: 120+75+180 = 375 NBT -/- remaining grant 1/3 of NBT450 (*) =150 = 225 NBT.
I identified three options:
1) Upgrading together with the start of the "Anton" grant in the next few weeks at above cost. This basically strenghtens NuDroid's continuity further as it would bring "SVR1" to a similar level as "Anton"
2) Continuing the current service till July 2016 as per contract and then discontinue.
3) Continuing the current service and review this closer to the end of contract e.g. in 3 months time.
Interested to hear some feedback before drafting a proposal.
* see original grant for 450 NBT for 18 months to host SVR1 https://gist.github.com/Cybnate/dcc3cd4f682754314486