Dear shareholders and community members,
I’m glad to publish a revised proposal for the long expected development of an Android client for NuBits after a few roadblocks have been taken away. This is a revised proposal based on the proposal and the discussion which can be found here: **Draft** proposal to develop a NuBits Android wallet
The revised proposal is still ‘draft’ as I would appreciate a further discussion and feedback from this community about the proposal before voting takes place. I suggest to leave it open for comment during the next 3 days (till Saturday). After that I will consolidate all the comments into a final proposal and republish that soon thereafter allowing voting to occur.
Gist of proposal
My proposal is detailed on a private Gist on my Github account here: https://gist.github.com/Cybnate/dcc3cd4f682754314486. This was done in order to make the community aware if any changes made to the document (through the version control system), and in order for an easier review by Shareholders. If amendments to this draft proposal are required, I will clearly call them out within this topic and changes made can be made visible in gist.
The gist contains all the details around the goals, justification, delivery, the custodian, hosting terms, the detailed functionality of the app and license. The underpinning draft contract with the Developer subject to changes can be obtained by email (PDF) by sending me a PM. A review of the contract has taken place.
Overview of grant:
Proposal: Development of NuBits Android wallet
Submission Date: TBC
Requested Grant Amount: 3650 NBT
Custodial Fee: 300 NBT
NuBits Grant Address: To be published with final proposal
Vote Amount: 3950 NBT
- Conversion to fiat currencies
- Sending and receiving of NBT via NFC or QR codes
- Generate new addresses
- Notification on reception of coins
- It comes with a simple NuBits blockexplorer also available via any browser
Further details can be found at the bottom of the gist.
The custodial grant (3,950 NBT) has increased since the last draft (v0.1) for the following reasons:
- The Development requires more work than initially estimated in ball-park (now 3,200 NBT)
- The previous draft proposal didn’t include the ongoing cost of hosting for 18 months (450 NBT)
- The amount of work required for hosting was not included (now 300 NBT)
More details about these services can be found in the gist.
The team have worked with the Developer in the last weeks to provide the relevant details regarding specific NuBits properties. The Developer and I are satisfied with the information provided and the opportunity to ask further questions if required for this development. This will significantly reduce the risk on delays or non-delivery. With that this proposal is no longer dependant on the open sourcing of NuNet.
The proposed port of the Android client is straightforward. I have deliberately chosen not to include bells and whistles or other functionality beyond what is now available for the Peercoin Android wallet. This in an effort to get a working port in the hands of the users as quickly as possible and build further from there on. I envisage a follow-up grant proposal for additional functionality after the successful delivery of the Android client.
Here is the -out of scope- wish list:
- Support for park functionality
- Passphrase / PINcode when sending coins
- Increasing robustness/availability by adding fail-over solution
- Full integration between website, forum and wallet (links and visuals)
- Add compatibility with Orbot (socks setting) so you may connect via Tor even without rooting
- Cold storage spending (importing QR code of private key)
- Improve performance of app on slower devices
Later I may also look into the provision of an iOS version of this App if there is enough interest after successful delivery of the Android App. This can’t be done by developer Matthew so we are looking for an offer from another developer.
On request developer Matthew offered to build a test environment for an additional 800 NBT. I’ve left this out of scope as I thought this to be better out for competition. Hoping that some devs may pick this up with a better offer when it is released and the source code is published. But open for discussion. We can still take Matthew’s offer.
Looking forward to your feedback on this proposal.