Binaries for RaspberryPi or other ARM devices?

I can only offer you my build with BerkeleyDB5.1.
Would be veeeeery nice of @desrever if he could compile a version with BerkeleyDB4.8 - for compatibility reasons :wink:

Oh, wait, I’m outdated here as I didn’t follow all discussions this summer. To build nud 2.0.1, I didn’t do anything different from 1.2.0, just an apt-get upgrade. englighten me please

For new versions of Raspbian1 (required for RaspberryPi2) there’s only BerkeleyDB5.1 (or newer) in the standard repositories (sudo apt-get install libdb5.1++-dev).
You might try sudo apt-cache search libdb4 - I don’t get anything useful for my Pi.
So you need to download and compile BerkeleyDB from the source.
Maybe I try to find out how hard it is :slight_smile:

With libdb5.1 you convert the wallet file and some other files to a format that is not backwards compatible with libdb4.8 (which will be used for the official releases).
So after you compiled nud with libdb5.1 and started nud, your Nu files are in a nu format that isn’t compatible with official releases.

1 Linux rapippc4 3.18.7-v7+ #755 SMP PREEMPT Thu Feb 12 17:20:48 GMT 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

Thanks for the explanation, I had no idea. That’s also why I preferred calling it unofficial builds …

To make the nud builds I used a rpi2 (raspian 3.18.11-v7+ ) , therefore I guess I built with BerkeleyDB5.1 (any tips to check the version od berkeleydb installed?) .

Looks like next week I’ll have to 1) figure how to uninstall bdb5 2)download and build bdb4 3) rebuild nud and update the tutorial and builds.

PS: @assistant tip 2 @masterOfDisaster

EDIT : Doh, out of balance . Will refill later!

Thank you, that’s kind but not necessary.
@sigmike told me about the libdb:

The repository he linked unfortunately doesn’t offer packages for ARM CPUs…
…and I still have no cross compiling environment available - that is waaaay beyond my skill :slight_smile:
Thanks to the speed of the RaspberryPi2 it’s no longer such a pain in the *** to compile on it.

I gave it a try, but failed. Somehow I was not able to completely remove libdb5.1 or at least make the nud compile use the libdb4.8.
When I find the time I make a fresh install of Raspbian on the Pi and test again.

you could try this (source)

Download the Berkeley DB, uncompress it, and cd into the uncompressed directory:

wget http://download.oracle.com/berkeley-db/db-4.8.30.NC.tar.gz
tar -xzvf db-4.8.30.NC.tar.gz
cd db-4.8.30.NC/build_unix/

Then, configure the system for compiling, do the actual compile job with make (will take a good while), and then install Berkeley DB:

../dist/configure --enable-cxx
make
sudo make install 

You guys can just add the bitcoin repository which provides access to 4.8. I thought I had documented that somewhere. It’s in the peershares wiki. https://github.com/Peershares/Peershares/wiki/Linux

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:bitcoin/bitcoin

sudo apt-get update

then you can just

sudo apt-get install libdb4.8++-dev

isn’t that what you’re looking for? This is what I was using when I was providing ARM builds for everyone before we went open source.

1 Like

Awesome!
@assistant tip 2 @CoinGame

ninjaedit: sometimes the assistant does strange things… I wonder why he revived an old conversation to tell me… anyway - I’m glad it worked.
Hey, @desrever, looks like I have more NBT ere under my assistant’s control :stuck_out_tongue:

edit2: first you need to make apt-add… available:

sudo apt-get install python-software-properties

edit3: nope, doesn’t work that way; http://ppa.launchpad.net/bitcoin/bitcoin/ubuntu/dists/ doesn’t have “wheezy” listed. This causes an error when trying to use this repository:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/bitcoin/bitcoin/ubuntu/dists/wheezy/main/binary-armhf/Packages  404  Not Found
1 Like

so now the question is how to uninstall bdb5, right? Or will atp-get take care of it?

I remember that I encountered problems trying to completely uninstall libdb5.1.
There was an error message that made me shy away from going on with it, although I don’t remember the words…

sudo apt-get remove bdb5 (or whatever the package name is) didn’t work?

keep it simple, stupid.

Common users of Nu won’t do such research. How about provide binaries for raspi 1B and 2B respectively? So that users can open the box and copy, run.

I haven’t found a single trustworthy repository with libdb8.8 still available for ARM on wheezy.

If you don’t want to go the compiling way and trust bittylicious, you might want to take this route

wget https://bittylicious.com/downloads/libdb4.8_4.8.30-11ubuntu1_armhf.deb
wget https://bittylicious.com/downloads/libdb4.8++_4.8.30-10precise1_armhf.deb
wget https://bittylicious.com/downloads/libdb4.8-dev_4.8.30-11ubuntu1_armhf.deb
wget https://bittylicious.com/downloads/libdb4.8++-dev_4.8.30-10precise1_armhf.deb

sudo dpkg -i libdb4.8_4.8.30-11ubuntu1_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i libdb4.8++_4.8.30-10precise1_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i libdb4.8-dev_4.8.30-11ubuntu1_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i libdb4.8++-dev_4.8.30-10precise1_armhf.deb

These changes must all be recent. As I said before I was using the bitcoin repository with no problems on raspbian. Oh well.

Sigh.

Trying to completely remove libdb5.1 doesn’t look like a good idea:

sudo apt-get remove libdb5.1
[...]
Packages to be removed:
 bind9-host blt comerr-dev esound-common fonts-droid fonts-roboto geoip-database ghostscript git-man krb5-multidev libatlas3-base libaudiofile1
  libavahi-core7 libbind9-80 libblas3 libcupsimage2 libcwiid1 libdirectfb-1.2-9 libdns88 libesd0 libgcrypt11-dev libgeoip1 libgfortran3 libgnutls-dev
  libgnutls-openssl27 libgnutlsxx27 libgpg-error-dev libgs9 libgs9-common libgssrpc4 libidn11-dev libijs-0.35 libisc84 libisccc80 libisccfg82
  libjbig2dec0 libkadm5clnt-mit8 libkadm5srv-mit8 libkdb5-6 libkrb5-dev liblapack3 liblwres80 libmad0 libmikmod2 libneon27-gnutls libopts25
  libp11-kit-dev libpaper-utils libpaper1 libpoppler19 libportmidi0 libqt4-network librtmp-dev libruby1.9.1 libsclang1 libscsynth1 libssh-4
  libssh2-1-dev libtasn1-3-dev libts-0.0-0 libvorbisfile3 libxfce4util-bin libxfce4util-common libxfce4util4 libxp6 libyaml-0-2 ncurses-term
  poppler-data poppler-utils python2.6-minimal rsync ruby1.9.1 supercollider-common triggerhappy tsconf xfce-keyboard-shortcuts
  adduser alsa-base apt-utils aptitude avahi-daemon build-essential checkinstall consolekit cron cups-bsd cups-client curl dbus dbus-x11 dmsetup
  dpkg-dev e2fsprogs epiphany-browser fake-hwclock fuse gconf-service gconf2 gdb git git-core gksu gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gvfs gvfs-backends
  gvfs-daemons gvfs-fuse idle idle-python2.7 idle-python3.2 idle3 ifupdown init-system-helpers initramfs-tools iproute isc-dhcp-client jackd jackd2
  lesstif2 libalgorithm-diff-perl libalgorithm-diff-xs-perl libalgorithm-merge-perl libapr1 libaprutil1 libaudio2 libblkid1 libcurl3 libcurl3-gnutls
  libcurl4-openssl-dev libdb5.1 libdevmapper-event1.02.1 libdevmapper1.02.1 libdpkg-perl libept-dev libept1.4.12 liberror-perl
  libfile-copy-recursive-perl libfile-fcntllock-perl libfluidsynth1 libgdu0 libgksu2-0 libimobiledevice2 libjack-jackd2-0 libldap-2.4-2 libldap2-dev
  liblightdm-gobject-1-0 liblvm2app2.2 libmount1 libnfsidmap2 libnss-mdns libobrender27 libpam-modules libpam-runtime libparted0debian1 libpulse0
  libpython2.7 libqscintilla2-8 libqt4-svg libqtgui4 libqtwebkit4 libsasl2-2 libsasl2-modules libsdl-image1.2 libsdl-mixer1.2 libsdl-ttf2.0-0
  libsdl1.2debian libserf1 libsm6 libsmbclient libsmpeg0 libsvn1 libswitch-perl libtimedate-perl libuuid1 libwebkitgtk-3.0-0 libxapian-dev libxapian22
  libxaw7 libxfce4ui-1-0 libxfconf-0-2 libxklavier16 libxmu6 libxt6 libzbar0 lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter login lsb-release lxde lxde-core minecraft-pi
  mount mountall netsurf-gtk nfs-common ntp obconf omxplayer openbox openssh-client openssh-server parted passwd perl perl-modules pipanel pistore
  plymouth policykit-1 python python-apt python-apt-common python-dbus python-gi python-gnupginterface python-minecraftpi python-numpy python-picamera
  python-pifacecommon python-pifacedigitalio python-pycurl python-pygame python-rpi.gpio python-serial python-software-properties python-support
  python-tk python2.7 python3 python3-minecraftpi python3-numpy python3-picamera python3-pifacecommon python3-pifacedigital-scratch-handler
  python3-pifacedigitalio python3-pygame python3-rpi.gpio python3-serial python3-tk python3.2 qjackctl raspberrypi-net-mods raspberrypi-ui-mods
  raspi-config rpi-update sgml-base smbclient sonic-pi ssh subversion sudo supercollider supercollider-server timidity udev udisks unattended-upgrades
  update-inetd usbmuxd util-linux wolfram-engine wpagui wpasupplicant x11-utils x11-xkb-utils x11-xserver-utils xfce4-mixer xfconf xml-core xpdf
  xserver-common xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-synaptics xserver-xorg-video-fbdev
  xserver-xorg-video-fbturbo zenity
[...]
After this operation, 863 MB disk space will be freed.
You are about to do something potentially harmful.
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'

At least Raspbian warns that this is going to damage the system and asks to type a complete sentence to continue…

Do it do it do it

1 Like

Is the wallet format also affected?

I recommend not to do it.
I did it.
The system is unusable after even being completely done with it.
It gets stuck at a “PAM configuration” which asks for a “PAM profile”. Rebooting is the only option. But that doesn’t solve the problem. The operating system is done after trying to remove libdb5.1.

Your sacrifice will not be forgotten. :salute:

1 Like