Why is nubits now blacklisting Tor?

I used to connect to the network just fine over Tor using 2.0.3 even if it was really slow, that was a month or two ago though i havent tried since. After trying 2.1 which does work fine in my OS (tails 2.0) it doesnt connect at all but i can see Tor trying to make connections, its that the nubit nodes are rejecting them all. I went back to 2.0.3 to see if it would connect and it does still connect but alot of them are rejecting it, alot more than usual. Whats going on with this, i havent read anything about the devs pushing blacklists and maybe thats not why but i cant think of any of other reason how all nodes are rejecting Tor connections from 2.1.0.

2 Likes

are we actually creating the orwellian dystopian future ourselves? :neutral_face:

Reported here:

Well 2.0.3 was never usable either, im trying it again and as usual its pulling down 3kb/s average, thats like a block every 20-30 seconds. Tor is transparent to the connection process, getting 3kb/s is not a limitation of Tor, the only way a client could be limited by Tor is if it was designed that way.

We do not restrict Tor. There is some Tor specific code in the client inherited from Bitcoin and it may be broken somehow. We will investigate.

Is anyone able to connect to the network through Tor with Nu 2.1?

2 Likes

found some stuff not sure if useful

Bitcoin Core 0.11.0 includes improved privacy functions as well, in particular because it connects to the anonymizing TOR
network more effectively. If TOR is enabled, the newest Bitcoin
software uses different TOR circuits to connect to different peers, as
opposed to one and the same TOR circuit. By diversifying the number of
TOR circuits it connects to, Bitcoin Core now significantly reduces the
chance that users get unlucky and pick a single exit node that is either
malicious, or widely banned from the P2P network.

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/doc/tor.md
./bitcoin -proxy=127.0.0.1:9050

The IP addresses of most users are totally public. You can use Tor to
hide this, but the network won’t work if everyone does this. Bitcoin
requires that some country is still free.

1 Like

We have not merged Bitcoin 0.11.0 yet.

Bitcoin Core 0.11.0 includes improved privacy functions as well, in particular because it connects to the anonymizing TOR
network more effectively. If TOR is enabled, the newest Bitcoin
software uses different TOR circuits to connect to different peers, as
opposed to one and the same TOR circuit

Tor already does this by default, you can look at the connection manager and see different tor circuits opening for different nodes. Its called stream isolation and applies to any program or website you use, furthermore circuits stay open for the duration of the connection so you dont get connections breaking while connecting to a particular service, this was done specifically for maintaining downloads through Tor and staying logged into IP-check based sites. Just looking at the Tor network map while using 2.0.3 shows that successful connections tend to stay open for the duration of the session, the crappy speed and mass rejections are not inherient to Tor except with services maintaining blacklists, such as anyone behind cloudflare (like this site).

Fundementally there is no difference from a nodes/websites perspective between serving a Tor exit node and serving a direct connection , other than its known that the exit is associated with Tor.

edit: Tor is TCP-only, are nubits nodes serving UDP or TCP?

I tried connecting through tor and it worked fine.

I suspect the problem is elsewhere. Nu 2.1 uses a new peer list file and doesn’t import the 2.0 peer list. So initially it only knows the seed nodes. Many seed nodes seem to be currently down (or partially down, as they accept connection but nothing else happens). Can you try with these seed nodes in your config:

addnode=212.129.19.120
addnode=176.9.65.41
addnode=176.9.113.75