What will be paid to B&C exchange developer

Thanks for reviewing the code.

Do I understand it right that the lower the percentage allowed the bigger the risk t have a fork? If this is true we should change the percentage threshold to 60%.

I support this one, and you decide the number of 55% or 60%, our goal is to select you as the technical leader ASAP.

@Dhume, whatā€™s your opinion? You are a big shareholder.

There will be a fork anyway because non-upgraded clients will continue to mint on the old protocol. If upgraded clients have more than 50% of the minting shares they will have the longer chain eventually, but because the process is random, if the percentage of upgraded nodes is close to 50% we may have some times where the old nodes have the longer chain and we may experience large reorganizations that may facilitate double spends. After a certain time the reorganizations will fail anyway (because we canā€™t have reorganizations on more than about a week if I remember correctly).

It also means that more than 50% of the shareholders must keep minting on the new protocol during and after the switch because if they ever fall below 50% the old chain may take over while it still can and we would have to restart the process on the old chain, with more uncertainty.

Since the number of 4.0 nodes is decreasing (we were at 65% a few days ago, 62% yesterday, and 60% today), if we set the threshold to 60% there are good chances it wonā€™t pass. Unless the reason is there was some 4.0 shares were just transferred and are going to back to minting on 4.0 soon.

Also if BKS are not traded on exchanges I think the double spend risk is low. Shareholders can probably wait for things to stabilize before they exchange BKS.

So Iā€™d keep 55%, with a warning on shareholders saying that to be safe they should only exchange BKS with trusted parties until about 1 week after the switch.

3 Likes

@sigmike, thanks for your work! In this crisis, Jordan Lee doesnā€™t show up, B&C dev fund in danger, and some apathetic minersā€¦ All these make shareholders feel sad.

We need you now, and will support you with our full strengh. Who is the ā€œBCexchangeā€ account in bitcointalk? Could Sigmike post a reply on bitcointalk forum that all shareholders need to upgrade to v5.0 with 55% threshold?

I guess we can elect some reputed signers who will take charge of fund payment etc, in this special situation, we need a semi-decentralized organization to speed up progress.

Hi sigmike could add your comments on my code, point to where I am wrong. It will be good for the 5.0 release and me also shareholders. [quote=ā€œsigmike, post:80, topic:4165ā€]
And more importantly it reveals an important lack of knowledge of the blockchain process from @Eleven
[/quote]

Please donā€™t make a so quick decision.
Yes I agree with you option that will make fork and results some complicated thing. But as you know that time you and jordan always has different opinions. I just follow one leader and drive the project move forward.

3 Likes

We could also give sigmike and eleven a bunch of bks that they will start minting with, thereby decreasing the apathetic %.

1 Like

Nushareholders can help B&C by minting on v5.0, after all, 40% BKS in their hands.

I guess B&C is their biggest hope, if Nu fails.

You will follow Sigmike if the motion passed, after v5.0 released, Iā€™ll draft that motion to elect Sigmike as technical leader.

I think that is a must ā€“
First of all, there is no leader per se unless we are defining and even provisioning its role in a motion.

Absolutely IN.
Tasks include Recruiting, Promotion, Evangelism.
Payments possible in NBT, BKC, NSR and BKS

1 Like

As it is rather a subjective statement, that requires some elaboration and exposure to all shareholders.

Can we vote a reputed signers team after V5.0?

A dozen of reputed signers are the best for payment, recruiting, promotion, Evangelism.

In a crisis, we can see more clearly who is more responsible and kindness.

BTW, if B&C succeeds, I suggest we take a portion of revenue as foundation multi-sig by reputed signers, to pay for the software development and promotion etc. So @sigmike @eleven @CoinGame @ben etc you may work part time or full time for many years, if you wish. B&C can be the first profitable DAO, sustainable development!

We are together to run a business from all over the world, we are on same boat, our community is definitely different from those hype alt coins.

1 Like

I donā€™t know. Maybe @tomjoad does.

I could but I only have very few posts on bitcointalk so people may not trust me.

Sure I will, but it will take some time so it didnā€™t look like highest priority.

Ultimately itā€™s shareholderā€™s decision to upgrade or not. They have to decide whether they want a quick 5.0 that only forks out non upgraded clients, or a full 5.0 that requires more time and development, that would also enable abstention and data feeds upgrade alerts.

Knowing that abstention can be added later in a future protocol upgrade, and data feed upgrade alerts can be added in a non-protocol upgrade.

Iā€™m not sure I understand what youā€™re saying. Jordan and I indeed had disagreements about the data feeds (not about abstention, after we discussed it). You were right to follow Jordan and Iā€™m not saying we should rewrite it the way Iā€™d have done it. Iā€™m just saying it still needs work. But since my main criticism was that is was overly complex, Iā€™m not certain we can finish it quickly.

The major problem is that he determines whether a block is abstaining or not by reading a global flag inside the minting code, whereas he should do it by parsing blocks when they are received. It means the application was seen like it was a single autonomous node that would create all the blocks. Thatā€™s why I think itā€™s an important lack of knowledge of how the blockchain works in the code.

Yes, voting for reputed signers was part of 4.0. It was just never enabled because the protocol never switched.

2 Likes

Something like egg vs chicken, nowadays around 30%+ miners are apathetic, so we need ban them at first and let active miners efficiently pass motions.

We should not get stuck here, letā€™s move on, but I guess @sigmike need to talk with Jordan(if possible) and update B&C website download link, bitcointalk forum.

A motion which receives a vote in 5001 out of any 10000 consecutive blocks and the majority of share days (coin days) in those 10000 consecutive blocks is considered passed.

Well, if @sigmike is not against within 24 hours, Iā€™ll draft a motion to elect sigmike as B&C technical leader.

2 Likes

Iā€™m currently very caught up in some real life stuff donā€™t have time to read and reply but I will read everything and reply at length tomorrow! I feel a consensus about the path to take is starting to develop I will post a draft in accordance with what I think are the right steps to take forward in accordance with consensus.

2 Likes

I agree with.

I think i did not make the low-level mistake. I added a fAbstention flag in blockindex class not just use global flag. So every node can get the block abstention state, not just mining nodes. I know the logic of solving the abstention part is complicated, I will review.

2 Likes

If this feature is really hard to impletment, I suggest we avoid it. In this situation, lack of dev fund, we need simple&direcrly solutions to bring B&C into operation ASAP. Advanced features can be added in future when B&C begin to receive revenue.

I guess when CCEDK reopen, the BKS price will drop because quite some BKS investors are losing faith, and itā€™s hard for us to fund more for B&C project unless we upgrade software to demonstrate dev team are working well.

Centralization and decentralization certainly have pros and cons respectively, I suggest when 12-15 reputed signers are elected, a desision making mechansim in emergency situation can be:

After a decision made by reputed signers, and accompany objection motion is automatically created with hash codes, there will be 2 weeks for shareholders to vote for this objection motion. Signers will move on if this objection motion not passed.

Apathetic shareholders arenā€™t deserved to be respected, they should be controlled by more professional/active members.

In an extremely emergency situation just like the DAO stolen event, the reputed signers can act without shareholdersā€™ permission, if the latter facts prove they are right, they are guiltless, if they are wrong, just resign.

I agree. Make small and frequent steps. Discover problems early when the consequence is not severe.

2 Likes

I think that maybe Jordan feels his reputation has been damaged and that it would be in the best interest of B&C Exchange for BlockShareholders to move on without him by selecting a new project lead. This statement from Angela (most likely Jordan) seems to suggest that he endorses Sigmike as his replacement without him having to post it here himself.