[Passed] Motion to Make the Nu Source Code Available

If there’s one thing I’m still concerned about, it’s the losses on NBT/crypto pairs and the inability to find LPC’s because of it without paying huge fees. It seems it will probably take NuBot a while still to address those problems…

If there’s one thing I’m willing to wait for, it’s for some of the solutions in that thread to be coded up and confirmed to be working. Then we’d have multiple custodians operating on the same non-USD markets and the risk of loss will hopefully be minimized. I’m also very excited about Jordan’s plan for increased liquidity and shooting for the goal of intermediary currency. NuBot will help take us there, but it’s not developed enough yet. What do some of you think about this, @desrever?

If there’s enough volume at NBTUSD you might be able to stay away from NBT/crypto pairs.
This is less convenient for traders as they need to convert to USD first before they can convert to NBT, but it prevents from losses in the crypto trading pairs.
As NBT is pegged to the USD I consider NBTUSD the most important pair, anyway :wink:

Once it’s more convenient than it is now to place a NBTUSD NuBot at an exchange, we will have much more LPCs!

Hell, I’d consider being a NBTUSD LPC at an exchange if I knew how to (technically, apart from making a proposal) and if it would be worth it doing that with a few hundred NBT!
But like I wrote here: We need much more liquidity providers....Let us think of strategies
I don’t know how to…

I think we need to create a market in which every amount is relevant as long as you compete with others.

It is not that difficult. You just need to configure the bot (one file):

• putting the right private/public key from the exchange
  • putting the right port to which nu client listens too.

if you have some trouble setting up the thing, i am sure @desrever could help you.

1 Like

Just crossed 10%

I think this is going to be a done deal barring any cold feet from current voters.

While NuBot can help in minimise the losses, it won’t be able to prevent people to use NBT from hedging against volatile currencies. Smart traders will buy NBT to stay safe during bear markets, and then sell them in bullish condition. There is honestly not much nubot can do about it. Unless we shut it down during high volatility periods (which is somehow what BSTX does, in a way, by auto-executing the covers without the consent of the party that shorted bitUSD) .

1 Like

It seems that traders are also using nubits in a bullish btc market.
My thoughts on this here.

Currently over $2 million dollars in volume.

The Nu network has come very far considering its short period of existence.
It’s a bold experiment; masterminded, designed and started by believers who found a way to combine the sustainability of Peercoin’s protocol with a solution for the problems fluctuating crypto currencies cause.
It chose a clever and largely untested approach splitting the asset and the currency.

I never perceived Nu and the people supporting it as fearful, afraid of making decisions and their consequences.
The opposite is true.

It appears to me that some might think open sourcing the code would come close to opening Pandora’s box.
The thing is: there’s a lot of experience with open source software and the benefits outweigh the drawbacks in most cases.
It’s not like open sourcing something would’ve been never tried before.
Microsoft is open sourcing .NET.
So why is it that all steps before aren’t perceived as courageous while open sourcing the code is?

Is it really the fear of being copied and outperformed?
While I expect the Nu code to find copycats, I don’t see a way for them to really threaten Nu.

This nails it down:

3 Likes

@assistant motion vote 6f361693a7b248730b41d4292f89dc6f6f166bc8

Hi cryptog

Here are the details for the Motion Vote on 6f361693a7b248730b41d4292f89dc6f6f166bc8:

##[6f361693a7b248730b41d4292f89dc6f6f166bc8][1]
[1]: https://discuss.nubits.com/t/voting-motion-to-make-the-nu-source-code-available
Blocks: 1096 (10.960000%)
Share Days: 321346518 (10.440782%)

This is the finalize motion to make the Nu source code open to the public. For more information about this proposal, and to view discussions about what items some community members belived should be completed on the development roadmap before they will vote for this motion, see:

REMINDER: Once this motion is passed it will be non-reversible, so please only begin to vote for it if you are confident that the implications of a public release are in the best interest of the Nu network.

To vote for this motion enter the calculated hash in your Nu client. Successfully minting a block will result in a "yes" vote being cast and placed in the Nu block chain. You will be able to track the progress of this motion on NuBits.com or the Nu block explorer.

Motion Hash: 6f361693a7b248730b41d4292f89dc6f6f166bc8

******BEGIN DRAFT MOTION HASH ON NEXT LINE******
With the successful passage of this motion, the Nu Shareholders[1] ("Shareholders") have instructed the Nu Development Team[2] ("Developers") to make the Nu source code available to the general public. The updated license will allow free, permissive use of the source code in Nu-related and derivative projects.

The Nu source code (including the code that describes the underlying Nu network protocol, the daemons, the GUIs, and the associated support systems for testing, distribution, and deployment) will include a text file, COPYING, in the root directory of the project.

Copyright (c) {YEAR[3]} Nu Developers
Copyright (c) 2013-2014 Peershares Developers
Copyright (c) 2011-2014 Peercoin (PPCoin) Developers
Copyright (c) 2009-2012 Bitcoin Developers

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
THE SOFTWARE.

Existing copyrights held by outside persons or organizations for code integrated into, or adapted for use within Nu, will be retained within the source code as required by their respective licenses. The license text follows the model established by Bitcoin[4] (and then continued by the Peercoin[5] and Peershares[6] software forks).

Additionally, the Shareholders grant the Developers the ability to determine a location for the code repository (BitBucket, Github, etc.) where the source code will be available to view and download. The Developers will act in the best interests of Shareholders when selecting the person(s) granted permissions to review, approve, and merge proposed modifications to the Nu source code.

Finally, the Shareholders grant the Developers discretion when determining which features, submitted to the project's code repository from individual contributors by way of "pull requests," are merged into the Nu source code. Members of the Nu Community at-large are all empowered to introduce motions to identify the "roadmap" that core development will follow.

Once this motion has been passed, the Developers will have forty-five (45) days to inform Shareholders of the steps required to open the Nu source code to the public, and to take those steps. The final action required by the passage of this motion will be to release a new version of the Nu clients (daemon and GUI, for Windows, OS X, and Linux) that includes the updated software license. This release will be tagged "v1.0.0" within the version control system. After meeting the requirements, this motion's purpose is complete, with no further action required by the Shareholders or the Developers.

[1] "Nu Shareholders" are persons with legitimate access to enough NSR to cast a vote for this motion by minting a valid Nu block.

[2] "Nu Development Team" are the person(s) ultimately responsible for software development of the Nu network, and who have unrestricted access to Nu source code when this motion passes.

[3] The date of the copyright listed in COPYING will match the year that this motion is passed, and will be back-dated to 2014 if needed. For example, 'Copyright (c) 2014-2015 Nu Developers' if the motion passes this year, or 'Copyright (c) 2014-2016 Nu Developers' if the motion does not pass until 2016.

[4] https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/COPYING

[5] https://github.com/ppcoin/ppcoin/blob/master/COPYING

[6] https://github.com/Peershares/Peershares/blob/master/COPYING

******END DRAFT MOTION HASH AT END OF PREVIOUS LINE******

1 Like

Update: The motion has risen to approximately 15% support today.

1 Like

Voted after careful thoughts. Code might be copied but not the community.

4 Likes

Getting almost 19% now.

Motion has crossed 20% support.

Hi @cryptog

Here are the details for the Motion Vote on 6f361693a7b248730b41d4292f89dc6f6f166bc8:

[1]: https://discuss.nubits.com/t/voting-motion-to-make-the-nu-source-code-available
Blocks: 2175 (21.750000%)
Share Days: 678645001 (21.445750%)

This is the finalize motion to make the Nu source code open to the public. For more information about this proposal, and to view discussions about what items some community members belived should be completed on the development roadmap before they will vote for this motion, see:

1 Like

Hi @cryptog

Blocks: 2230 (22.300000%)
Share Days: 690957376 (22.079280%)

still growing a bit but decelerating.