NuShare Distribution Estimates

I’d like to know the community’s best estimates for how many people own more than 1, 5, 10, 50, and 100 million NuShares. Thanks!

2 Likes

It’s impossible to tell. Maintaining shareholder privacy is critical in this system to prevent external actors from influencing it. The reason Jordan Lee has been so adamant about using BitMessage for undistributed NSR purchase is to maintain that privacy. Undistributed NSR could clearly be sold for more USD than they have been, but getting a widely distributed base of shareholders is important for decentralization.

2 Likes

I’ll take a guess, but I know nothing.

• 100M: 1 (Jordan’s undistributed shares)
  • 50M: 3 (if core devs were paid in NSR, some may have this much)
  • 10M: 10 (I guess this is 75% core devs, 25% investors)
  • 5M: 30 (mostly investors who bought directly from Jordan)
  • 1M: 80 (mostly investors who bought at exchanges)
  • Less than 1M: 200 (mostly small exchange purchases)
1 Like

JordanLee’s most recent update 11 days ago said he had crossed 60% distribution. Per the distribution protocol he is posting updates at every 10%, and this implies somewhere between 300M NSR and 400M NSR not yet distributed.

Coinmarketcap indicates a 604M NSR total.

From what I infer from JordanLee’s the distribution post, all shares are distributed via this method, and by extension conclude that the core dev team would go thru the same process as everyone else to get their shares.

The core dev / investment team is receiving the proceeds from the NSR sales, as well as has received the PPC dividends that were paid to the yet-to-be-distributed shares at the time of KTamm’s first dividend payment.

@JordanLee: confirming or clarifying the above, especially in how the core team obtained shares, would be great for transparency, since I’m sure there will be perennial questions about unfair “pre-mining”, etc.

Perhaps an anonymized report after all the NSR have been distributed would add to this transparency too.

reference: Undistributed NuShares
reference: Undistributed NuShares

1 Like

“Pre-mining” is a valid complaint for some cryptocurrency projects, but only where the resulting unit of exchange is intended to be transactional in nature. With Peercoin for example, when a developer forked the code to create their own clone but held 3% for a “pre-mine”, the backlash from the broader community was intense and immediate. This is because of the expectation that a transactional unit is distributed as fairly as possible. With our model, the transactional (NuBits) and speculative (NuShares) units are properly separated. Equity in a network does not have the same threshold of distribution required to be seen as fair, as it is essentially ownership in a very decentralized organization.

Informal discussions with team members have led me to believe that they have all paid for their NuShares at rates that varied according to the stage of Nu’s development; no zero-cost NSR have been given. Anonymized reports of NSR holders stakes would be a violation of their privacy as well.

3 Likes

In early days I was given a cap on how much shares I could buy. I cannot disclose any number but I can tell you that the rationale was “to ensure fair decentralisation”. Maybe this makes feel people better :wink:

3 Likes

So the Nu dev team would account for 20% of total Nu ownership?

The important part of that post is:

1 Like

BTW At:
Re: [Pre-ANN] B&C Exchange – A decentralized cryptocurrency exchange for everyone
April 24, 2015, 11:13:27 PM

Jordan Lee says:

In order for the motion authorizing the proposed auction and development of B&C Exchange to pass, it must receive at least 5001 votes in any 10000 consecutive blocks on the Nu network blockchain. There have been 1489 blocks found since voting began. 58.5% of these blocks contain a vote in favor of the development of B&C Exchange. The motion is on course to pass in about 5 days. When and if it does, bids for NuShares (which will entitle holders to an equivalent quantity of B&C Exchange BlockShares) will be accepted for a period of two weeks.

Does he appear very sure it will pass? if so, why?

It did pass

58.5% > 50%

1 Like

If you assume that those who configured a vote in favor of that motion wouldn’t change their mind and 58.5% of minting shares were in the hands of people who were in favor of that motion, it’s simple math to determine how long it would take.

You needed a total of 5,001/0.585 blocks for the motion to pass, which equals to roughly 8,500 blocks.
1,489 had already been recorded with an average of 58.5%, so you needed only roughly 7,000 more blocks for the motion to exceed 5,001 blocks in a rolling window of 10,000 blocks.
At an average block time of 1 minute those 7,000 blocks would have been created in ~116 hours, which is about 5 days.

No magic with that - just some assumptions and some math :wink:

1 Like