NuDroid v4 - Now available on Google Play

The NuBits blockchain only Nubitsexplorer requires some maintenance and will be off-line for a large number of hours. Due to a bug the database has been corrupted and I need to build it up again. Apologies for the inconvenience.

NuDroid shouldn’t be affected as the default secondary server would take over. http://blockexplorer.nu is still available as the main Nu blockchain for NuBits and NuShares.

The Nubitsexplorer is online again after the rebuilt of the database. This proofed a bit more challenges due to the high memory requirements of the Nu daemon.

Matthew also reports that he determined that abe does not like the parked NuBits for some reason. It ruins the calculation of total coin amounts. So he removed the coin days destroyed, outstanding coins and average age for now. They won’t be accurate in any case, unless abe is modified to work with parked NuBits, which might be more trouble than it is worth.

At least it provides the basic explorer services for NuBits again. Interested to hear your feedback on the continuation of this service into the next year.

More than 1000 hits on https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1117925. Just a reminder to all forum users to post something related to NuDroid every now and then over there. It increases the visibility outside our own community and hopefully attracts new users.

4 Likes

NuDroid featured in the daily Decrypt! Nice work @tomjoad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0XTYhYM2Bg (2:54)

3 Likes

As with btc I dont want to download the whole blockchain and for that reason alone I use paper wallets + Mycelium’s spend from cold storage feature.

To be able to use nulagoon tube I’d love to have the cold storage feature in an app like nudroid. Any plans to have this in the near future?

It is not on the wishlist at the moment, but I can add it when more people ask for it. That would increase the chance to include it in the next update, although none has planned yet.

Hope more people chime into the discussion here: Mobile magic. Interested?
It is paving the road for a new release of NuDroid assuming their is enough interest amongst shareholders.

Just noticed that we reached a new milestone on Google Play:

500+ downloads of NuDroid! :open_mouth:

Source: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.matthewmitchell.nubits_android_wallet&hl=en_GB

The number of unique visitors is floating around between 110 and 135 on a monthly bases (Source: Cloudflare)

2 Likes

Just posted the milestone on Bitcointalk and had a question:

Navesh Sapad:
good to see this … The only thing i care for is , security , any users who have already used this can share ?

Anyone willing to share the security aspects/experience here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1117925.msg13956555#msg13956555

Is it possible to connect NuDroid through TOR (provided by Orbot on Android OS)?

If not available, wouldn’t that be a good (security/privacy) implementation and enhancement?

Not sure if there is a lot of value in that. NuDroid connects only the Shapeshift API (when used) and ongoing to the servers. If you don’t trust the server operators you can run your own server. Beyond that it basically only leaves the connection to Shapeshift to sort out. Maybe @MatthewLM can comment whether the calls to the Shapeshift API use webbased traffic which could be handled by Orbot or not. And whether any other traffic occurs?

Hello. The Shapeshift API is called over HTTPS which provides encryption and authentication, however Shapeshift will know your IP address and those that can listen on your connection can determine that you are connecting to Shapeshift. If you want to hide your IP address and who you are connecting to, then you can use Tor. I believe if you have a rooted phone you can use Orbot to redirect all webtraffic through Tor including for apps that do not otherwise support Orbot.

Edit: I actually think orbot can redirect all traffic through Tor on a rooted phone.

Hey @MatthewLM, exchange rates for Fiat don’t seem to be gathered at the moment.

Can you check that?

Problem seems to have solved itself for now.

My assumption is that the third party exchange rate server would have been down.

I’ve noticed this issue one or two times. Thought it was my connection as a restart of the App fixed it. Will keep an eye on it.

Just a little teaser, I’m still working on a custodial grant with some significant improvements for NuDroid. I believe this is another big step towards making NuDroid the ultimate mobile wallet for regular use on the internet e.g. Bitcoin shops, collecting funds e.g. merchants or your earnings and at point of sale (PoS) for your weekly beer or dinner for two anywhere they accept Bitcoin, NuBits or any other support cryptocurrency. And that all without being subject to any volatility.

The main objective of the grant is to increase sustained demand for NuBits beyond just day trading.

Here is an early draft of the proposed functionality subject to change:

A. Skipping headers for instant start/sync,
B. Adding Ethereum support,
C. Adding crypto currency exchange rates on the homepage,
D. Syncing Nubitsj with Bitcoinj,
E. Adding NuDroid’s ability to receive other coins which will be instantly converted upon arrival to US-NBT.

More details, costs, requirements etc. and a grant proposal will follow soon…

3 Likes

Happy to see further improvements being proposed. Do you have any metrics on the number of NuDroid users so far? It would help justify further development expense.

1 Like

@tomjoad just in case you didn’t realize she posted the new draft here…

I wasn’t sure if you knew since you were replying to an older post.

1 Like

Not much has changed since 6 weeks ago.