NuDroid v3 - with Shapeshift integration now available on Google Play

By the way, the banner says "bitcoin is convenient, nubits is stable"
Shouldn’t it be “nubit” and not “nubits”?
This applies to any marketing effort btw.

If we can say “I pay you 1 nubit” and “I pay you 12 nubits”, it would be natural to me to say “nubit is stable” and “nubits are stable”.

Anyone?

I think it is an important matter.

1 Like

NuBit is stable doesn’t sound natural to me. I would never say dollar is stable. I would say 1 dollar is stable or dollars are stable. If I have to use the word NuBit then I would use a quantity of one before it. 1 NuBit is stable. Anyway though, I think the banner should have probably read “NuBits are stable.”

Can this be fixed or is it too late? I didn’t really recognize it until now.

We’ve gone back and forth on this since release, it is a bit tricky. Usually I’ve stuck with “NuBits” as the brand name for the entire currency, not individual units. If I said “Pampers is one of the most famous brands of diapers”, it would be similar to “NuBits is one of the most famous brands of digital currencies”. In that case, because “NuBits” is the brand name that we use for the entire network, it is a singular object. There are other similar “s” ending plural brand names like Starbucks and Kia Motors that follow similar conventions.

1 Like

Ah, this makes sense, thanks.

Well the difference is that you do not say 1 Pamper or 1 Starbuck, right? (though you can say 1 Kia motor).

It is tricky because NuBit has been used as a unit name so far, it seems.

Or we could discard totally the singular and use alway only the plural.

Example:

• NuBits is stable like in “Starbucks has nice coffees”
  • I owe you 100 NuBits (coins is omitted) like in “I owe you 100 Starbucks” (coffees is omitted)
  • Please send me 1 NuBits (coin is omitted) like in "Please go and get me 1 Pampers (diaper is omitted)

In other words, NuBits is a self contained name itself and the unit name is NuBits.

I feel if we allow the singular then we should say “NuBit is stable”

EDIT: For example, here JL used 3 times the singular “NuBit”

2 Likes

I’ve just got a first beta of v4 of NuDroid from Matthew. I’m aiming to release this or a RC including release notes later next week after some initial testing. Will open another announcement thread by that time.

1 Like

I would be interested in getting more info about the nfc function of NuDroid.
It seems that OneBit has entered Alpha and the reaction from the bitcoin community is positive.
I am in contact with the CEO by the way. He might be interested in integrating NuBits.

3 Likes

@crytog Any idea what’s their “secret sauce”? Will they have a banking partner?

No idea.

There is info on how NFC works for NuDroid on docs.nubits.com. It basically just reads a payment request, which includes an address, an amount and a description. Same as a QR code. The user then confirm the transaction and that’s it. Instead of fiddling with a camera and QR codes, it is just touch-and-pay.

OneBit works differently, NFC emulates a creditcard. The creditcard is coupled to a centralised account (like Bit-x or CCEDK’s card) like you creditcard is when using it with a bank, The difference with OneBit and Bit-x solution is that you only need to have an account with a payment provider (either CCEDK exchange, Bit-x, or any other licensee) who sells you Bitcoin on the fly and pay the merchant in fiat like any normal creditcard.

A more interesting solution would be where e.g.the virtualised creditcard would be coupled with the NuDroid App and any expenses would be Shapeshifted real-time into fiat. I’m expecting this kind of solutions soon, CCEDK could technically already deliver such service. It just needs some smart API which also covers fiat and not only crypto like Shapeshift does and use the same solution OneBit will use to virtualise the creditcard into an App.

However the consequence of dealing with fiat is that it won’t be anonymous as KYC would be required as opposite to NuDroid which is almost trustless (with v4 it can be).

1 Like

My understanding is that we can also get rid of the need for FIAT if what we want is just stability.
The NFC function of NuDroid could be coupled with a credit card as you pointed and the credit card (it s more a debit card actually) could automatically debit your crypto account denominated in NBT as something like nanocard could do.
Of course you would need to buy NBTs in the first place, via FIAT or another form of money…

1 Like

That is correct. I’ve read through the AMA and it appears the “secret sauce” is HCE aka. Host Card Emulation http://www.sequent.com/host-card-emulation/

Here are some figures from the NuDroid banner marketing campaign on coinmarketcap.com:

09.07-27.07 statistics:

• impressions: 105,850
  • clicks: 860
  • CTR: 0,81%

Unfortunately some issues are occurring in the last week and you might have noticed the advertisement is barely showing up any more. There seems to be technical issues with the display of coinmarketcap and Google driven advertisements which are mixed into the feed. It looks like the Google advertisement only show up lately. I’m already working with CMC’s marketing on solution, one of them is extending the second period we have contracted with at least 1 week. The second period will start early September and will run for at least 1 month depending on what will be added due to the issues lately. Will keep you in the loop.

New release NuDroid
Nudroid V4 release candidate has just been posted in a new thread here: NuDroid v4 - Now available on Google Play

5 Likes

Some click-through statistics to judge our performance: http://www.smartinsights.com/internet-advertising/internet-advertising-analytics/display-advertising-clickthrough-rates/

Across all ad formats and placements Ad CTR is 0.06%

Rich media Ad CTR is 0.27%

With a CTR of 0.81% our advertisement is performing very well!

3 Likes

The founder of onebit answered me that he is interested in using stable crypto-currencies (such as NuBits and say BitUsd) but he would need first “enough acceptance and liquidity” (from his own words).
He will be focusing on Bitcoin in the mean time but hopefully, with the release of B&C, NuBit would have increased its public exposure and liquidity drastically by the end of 2015.

2 Likes

Is that a subjective thing or are there any thresholds for “acceptance” and “liquidity”?
I mean, is this just a polite way to say “thanks, but no thanks”?
…sometimes you need to build things if you want to have them.
Waiting for others to build them and profit from their work is much easier.

There’s much to say about @ronny and CCEDK. And I bet everyone has his own opinion.
I dare not say that everything went right.
But at least @ronny put some efforts in, trying to bring Nu a step forward to Nu’s and CCEDK’s benefit.

In its current stage Nu doesn’t require beneficiaries, but rather partners.
It’s a pity that onebit doesn’t want to become a partner, because a stable crypto currency would be a perfect match for onebit’s business model.

1 Like

I totally agree. Well, we do not need to wait. NuDroid has its own nfc function. A partnership with ccedk’s nano card would produce the same result, possibly.

Will onebit be closed source? If not, it should be possible to fork it and add NuBits wallet.

Good question. I ll try to ask him the CEO about that.

1 Like

Here is the latest on the CMC banner campaign:

Period 27/07-03/08:
impressions 34,919
clicks 113
CTR: 0,32%

CTR is down, but that is to be expected as many people have now seen the banner. Still a good CTR I believe. The current advertising period ends in 2 days or so. The banner will be back Early September for another month hopefully catching all those people coming back from Holidays in the Northern Hemisphere!