[Mandatory Upgrade] All minters need to upgrade to B&C Exchange 4.0.1

You lost me - how are data feeds related to client broadcast messages?
Is that the same and I’m only not aware of it?

How about emeth’s peermassage application? @Sentinelrv

This is totally not suitable for informing BKS minters - the BCE application is.
…not to speak about PeerApps not being ready…

Just an FYI, during the next protocol upgrade there will be a warning displayed in the client when > 20% of the last 2000 blocks has a protocol vote higher than the users current protocol version. This was added in 4.0.

It won’t display this time unfortunately because 3.0.2 clients don’t have the warning code. After this protocol upgrade though the client will automatically notify when the threshold I mentioned above is reached.

No need for developer messaging. Shareholders will inform the network automatically simply by using the protocol voting when they mint.

5 Likes

How about distributing B&C source code and binary via blockchain? In the same way we share blockchain data. I guess less than 150MB is sufficient as long as customers discard old versions.

Another merit is we can avoid vicious binary from 3rd party or official website outage.

We’re up to 42.85% protocol votes today. All shareholders must upgrade as soon as possible.

Source: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1033773.msg14427815#msg14427815

I am not satisfied with the protocol upgrade speed, I thought we can achieve 90% within 2 weeks, and apparently we need to improve the way we broadcast to shareholders and software issuing.

I suspect a simpler reason is we have many new shareholders who do not realize our decentralized governance requires active voting. We had a brief period of inactivity that may have led some shareholders to turn their attention away from their BlockShares, but we’re bringing them back on board.

I’m confident that we will continue to approach 90% in the coming week or two.

2 Likes

I’ve tried many times and via 3 ISP today to download B&C4.0.1, but always failed. Most of them stopped at 60-70% even 99% from amazons.

EDIT: finally downloaded.

I think my reply is obsolete as I understand v4 will display an upgrade message on protocol updates when more than 20% is minting on the new upgrade.

Once there was the idea that datafeeds could broadcast messages to clients when deemed relevant for users. The solution implemented in v4 of the client is better anyway imo as you don’t have to be subscribed to any datafeed and the solution is decentralised.

The network declined to 41.05% of protocol votes today.

Is anyone here having difficulty upgrading to version 4.0.1? We’re happy to help you out if so. At a 90% threshold for a protocol switch, we cannot afford to have any minters not using the latest version of B&C Exchange.

Has this been done? @BCExchange

Perhaps they are waiting for Mac OS version, although there are only a few Mac users, but their BKS are possible many. :slight_smile: Just a wild guess.

Then they should stop minting until release 4 for MacOS is available, for crying out loud!
:wink:

1 Like

I am wondering by the way why it is not 50.1% .
50.1 % isn’t it already the majority?

We need an almost consensus not the majority. Cryptos are not democracy :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree with cryptog, 90% is very high. Don’t think we had a motion or grant on Nu with over 80% of last 1000 blocks ever. Not for more than a few minutes at least. On average 20% is on holiday, sick or otherwise unavailable/unwilling to attend to this. I doubt whether this ever passes, it might take a lot of time before everyone is reached and convinced.

We might need to lower that number which would require only 50.1%, lowering the bar.

Then what if we switch at a given date and after that whoever have the old version cannot mint or do any transaction?
consider this: if i was a “bad” person i would hire a lot of cheap vps and run the old B&C client just for my fun. (idea taken from bitcoin XT and classic) :stuck_out_tongue:

The key is how many BKS they hold, not the VPS quantity.

Playing fake nodes game is not useful in PoS world.

2 Likes