How were Nushares initially distributed?

That’s incorrect. NuBits are $1 each. NuShares are being distributed at a much lower price to a few who can be trusted by the devs.

This is a way I could see it going down based on Jordan’s original announcement of NuBits. Things could have definitely changed and I doubt I have the %'s right.

70% -> to trusted people.

“This wave of investors will be people who have demonstrated a capacity to benefit cryptoasset projects such as developers, marketers, testers and active forum participants. People who purchase our Peershares will be business partners, so we want to select them carefully.”

30% -> anyone.

“Later we will sell shares to people who’s primary contribution is financial. All proceeds from the sale of our Peershares will be used in the interest of shareholders, particularly for operating and development expenses. We expect the project to be very well funded and experience explosive growth.”

From the original announcement http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2923.0

After that, it will probably hit exchanges and be a free for all.

1 Like

How about distribute a little bit over Faucets? Just for fun for untrusted people like me :wink: just to have something to play around with no significant value or influence? Would be nice!

You could submit a proposal to the shareholders to fund a project to make a faucet.

so when can i buy nushares?

From the same thread listed above:

The line is probably pretty long right now, but if you’re interested it wouldn’t hurt to send a BM

Tks for info, CoinGame.

If I buy shares now from the undistributed pool, will those shares have any voting/minting power?

Anyone with at least 10,000 shares will have the ability to vote.

Nice.

According to Jordan Lee s post: Undistributed NuShares

"Though undistributed NuShares minted blocks to bootstrap the network, they will never again be used for minting or voting. "

What is the definition of “undistributed shares”?
If the shares that I want to buy are undistributed shares, I won t be able to mint or vote…it seems.

When the network was created one billion shares were generated to be distributed. So when you see “undistributed shares” it means the lot of shares that have not been sold yet. They will eventually all be sold. Once you buy your shares they are yours to do what you please.

I see. Tks a lot.

by the way, this is a precaution from the team for guaranteeing that no holder has a big stake, which could be dangerous security wise?
if yes, I am wondering now about the topology of the shares distribution…
i remember seeing somewhere here or in the forum than jordan lee set a fair distribution between founders and made sure that their voting powers will not be disproportionate compared to the remaining undistributed shares…
here he states [quote]These limits will facilitate the rapid decentralization of control of the network, which is more important than raising as much money as possible from the sale of NuShares.[/quote]

which shows how much he cares about decentralization.

The only shares that are minting/voting on the network are the ones that have been purchased. I think once all the shares have been distributed and we have lots of people offering to be custodians it will be very apparent how decentralized the ownership is. The diversity of votes will all be recorded in the blockchain. I really do believe in Jordan’s resolve to have a diverse group of NuShare holders. The more people who have stake in the health of the network then the more ideas and interest in building a healthy network we’ll have. This is why Jordan is looking for “business partners”. Passive NuShares holders who will not mint or vote will not move Nu net in a healthy direction.

And the more shareholders there are the more secure the network should get…

As the security depends on the “minting rate” the network should be very secure from the start. As long as the majority of all shares that are in fact able to mint do so, it is not important that there are shares that have not already been distributed.

Only distributed shares are used for minting and voting. This is no technical limitation, but a decision:

As long as the NuShares are still owned by the “Nu DAB (Distributed Autonomous Bank)”, Nu would be allowed to do as it likes; they could be used for minting and voting and I wouldn’t consider it unfair (because they would still be owned by Nu).
Nu likes not to use them for minting and voting and I like that even better :wink:

The network is secure as a decentralized trustless network as long as no entity has more shares than 50% of all shares…
I saw somewhere that there are still 60% of undistributed shares…
That means 40% of all shares are minting.
Now the questions is how many independent entities own those 40%…
I would not be surprised if it is only a handful of people but Jordan said that the distribution among founders was fair and equitable…
So even at that stage, we can speculate that the network is secure.

…that are available for and actively minting!

indeed.