How Do I Run a Full NuBit Node on My Raspberry Pi?

I have only skimmed through it so far.
It looks very good and comprehensive! Good job!
It’s good to see that the basic installation of an operating system on a RaPi is included as well.

I’m not familiar with making pull requests at github. Please forgive me making suggestions here.
This was a hack I once needed. Not sure whether it’s required in standard setup:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libminiupnpc.so.5 /usr/lib/libminiupnpc.so.10

By recommendation the config files are user only / read only mode, so I suggest changing that after nu.conf has been edited from

this to

sudo chmod 400 ~/.nu/nu.conf

I’ve created a tiny script to unlock the wallet for my Peercoin minter:

#!/bin/bash
read -s -p "Enter ppcoin wallet passphrase  : " passphrase
echo "Enabling stake mining"
ppcoind walletpassphrase $passphrase 99999999 true
sleep 5
ppcoind getinfo

Providing such a script as alternative (located at /bin/ ?) to manually unlocking might be convenient.

And sorry for the way I used the github links, but Discourse is so clever that directly providing a link leads to this:

1 Like

thanks!

Oh yes, I also needed it for upnp support , indeed is in there :

Changed in 5f80a6b85000f6c1c0dc84cf995a33cbc2a53a8f

Very useful indeed. Right now I’d prefer to keep it simple (with no need to create / execute script) … I’ll make a gist and link to it! Wait for it…

done.

It’s very good already.

To not discourage those who already have Raspberry Pi 1 B and 1B+, I think it should be pointed out that running nud on R-pi 1 does work, although R-pi 2 is faster, especially when there are more than 1 million shares (100+ outputs).

The SD card should have more than 4GB or there will be shortage in disk space… Buying a faster SD card helps to shorten start up time.

Compiling is not necessary if official binary is available.

The steps can be scary to someone who is new to R-pi. I think providing a pre-installed R-pi image for downloading will be really convenient.

1 Like

Alrighty, I already found that line in the guide - that’s why my config line (sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libminiupnpc.so.5 /usr/lib/libminiupnpc.so.10) looks so shiny :wink: It’s a link to that line in the documentation on github.
Only I wasn’t sure whether that was necessary due to some buggy installation on my side…

Great, but https://gist.github.com/desrever-nu/6e18d037251edeaeb4d6#file-unlock-nud-sh-L2
should have “ppcoin” replaced with “NuShares” :wink:

I’m not sure how long it will take to free some time for an installation following that ingenious guide. Maybe I don’t have the time, before other users test it. It looks very well and I bet it’s close to what one needs to know.

As we are talking about scripts - I have another one that backups my ppc wallet monthly (by crontab). It can be used for comfortable backups beyond the monthly backup. As I backup the whole “~/.ppcoin” folder regularly, I found it convenient to put all right there.
I adjusted it to be used for backing up the NSR wallet:

[backup script]
echo '#!/bin/bash
nud backupwallet ~/.nu/walletS.dat.$(date +%F)' >> ~/.nu/backup-nsr-wallet
chmod +x ~/.nu/backup-nsr-wallet
[/backup script]

[add backup script to crontab]
crontab -e
#append line to have a monthly backup at the first day of the month, 22:00:
0 22 1 * * ~/.nu/backup-nsr-wallet
[/add backup script to crontab]

This is highly optional, but as you lose all information about the points of time at which you minted successfully, you need to make backups of your wallet to restore not only the keys, but the details about transactions from a backup wallet.
I don’t know why the time stamps of blocks (there are time stamps, right?) are not used to translate that into a date and time, but…
To just have the keys backed up this might not be necessary as the minted blocks use the address of the UTXO that minted the block, right?
Anyway - all this belongs in the “advanced” or “highly optional section” of the guide…
Maybe someone is happy about that. Integrating it into the base guide would complicate things.

I tried nud on RaPi1; the RAM is almost too small to compile it… and using swap during the compiling doesn’t speed the process up :wink:

8 GB or even 16 GB shouldn’t be way more expensive than 4 GB. I’d recommend class 10 speed as it’s already as fast as the RaPi can read form the card reader.

That would be awesome! The compiling is the hardest part. And if you have a RaPi1 it really takes for ages.

+1 something like NuBox (made by peerchemist?) would be awesome!

Ha. You can already install pre-compiled nud in a peerbox with one command. Not working w/o a hitch, though.

88de084

I agree, we said earlier that there won’t be an official binary on the download page, or it will require proper testing and maintenance. However, no one stops us to link to an independent build from the tutorial, providing a proper disclaimer is shown.

Can we get a permalink to a community-maintaned nud-pi ? I’ll add the link to the tutorial … A torrent maybe?

5ba37c5

tnx, fixed it

Very good, let’s also collect advanced best practices for future revisions!