Help Buying New Laptop for Minting

It seems everything is ready, try starting Nu with ./bin/64/nu

The Nu client came up and is currently downloading the blockchain. :smile:

Now at the end there after installing all the dependencies could I have just double clicked on the Nu icon instead of typing it into the terminal to run the client?

Also, in order to get Peercoin and B&C to run, I would just have to take the following commands and change the download link, correct?

You should be able to run the binary clicking on it, but previously you had some kind of permission issue I donā€™t get.

For Peercoin and B&C the steps would be similar.
In that command you can find && symbol which is essentially ā€˜also do this if no errors are foundā€™. So it really runs 4 things sequentially.

• wget https://nubits.com/sites/default/files/assets/nu-2.0.2-linux-gitian.zip; wget downloads the link you pass as argument.
  • unzip nu-2.0.2-linux-gitian.zip; unzip decompress the downloaded file
  • chmod +x bin/64/nu; chmod changes the permissions of a file and ā€œ+xā€ adds the executable permission.
  • ./bin/64/nu; the ā€œ./ā€ at the beginning is the way of launching binaries in linux

So yes, changing the download link should work for the other ones, but you should also change the name of the file to unzip, the folder/file to set the executable permission, and the path and name to launch it.
Try to modify that commands and run them because now you can understand there is not such thing as a ā€œuniversal commandā€ for doing something.

Now that the dependency problem is solved, shouldnā€™t he try executing the already downloaded and unzipped binaries for B&C and Peercoin? Why start the process from scratch?

Also, these dependencies were already in Xubuntu, but uninstalled, correct? I donā€™t see where it downloaded them, so I assume they were already apart of the OS. I just had to activate them first.

As I pointed in the previous post he had trouble running them, and as I canā€™t really know what went wrong until that point, I can only start from a known state.

Most of them were in Xubuntu installed by default.
You downloaded the ones missing with sudo apt-get install libqtgui4.

sudo is the prefix to run a program as administrator, that is why it asked for your password. It should only be used where necessary.
apt-get is a package manager, and the rest indicates what package you want to add to your xubuntu. It downloads, keeps track and installs it.
Everything in linux is part of a package, so sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade would be the way to update your entire computer, and as you can guess it will take the hassle to maintain libqtgui4 updated.

Ideally installing Nu would be as easy as sudo apt-get install nud, but for that the developers would have to publish the package to the ubuntu repository, something that is not yet done.

Ok, Iā€™ve gotten all the wallets running now. Once the blockchains are fully downloaded Iā€™ll attempt switching out the wallet.dat files. Iā€™ll report back here when done to let you guys know whether everything went smoothly.

Itā€™s a good idea to keep Linux up to date. The developers are constantly pushing out updates, security patches, etc. On the Xubuntu tool bar, there is a location for the indicator plug-in. When a critical update is needed, you will see a red star there. Simply click on this and install the updates. Youā€™ll be prompted for your administrator password. This can also be accomplished from the command line, but they now make it where you can do it with a couple of clicks. Sometimes you will have to re-boot after you do this.

On the Xubuntu Applications button (equivalent to start button in Windows) you can open the Ubuntu software center. This gives you a GUI to access all the open-source software that is in their repositories. There is a huge selection and this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Question, if the laptop display turns off and enters sleep mode, will the clients continue minting, or will I need to disable sleep mode? On my previous PC I turned off sleep mode and just unplugged the monitor, so Iā€™m not sure.

Go to Settings: Screensaver: Advanced. Thatā€™s where you access the power manager (sleep settings). The screensaver wonā€™t bother your minting.

Unrelated: You should probably run ā€œAdditional driversā€ located in the Settings menu. The default drivers are sometimes not optimal for your hardware. Use their recommended settings.

Strange, I was trying to set it so that when I closed the laptop lid, nothing would happen and it would continue running. I purposely switched it from lock screen to nothing when it asked about the lid being closed. Putting the computer to sleep is also set to never. Putting the display monitor to sleep and shutting it down is currently set to 10 and 15 minutes. However, I closed the lid for about 5 minutes, but when opening it I still had to enter in my login, so it did go to the lock screen even though I set it not to. I also noticed the blockchain paused its download at 380,000 blocks until I opened it back up again. So it seems I canā€™t close the lid without it being put to sleep. Maybe itā€™s a feature of the laptop and not the OS. Iā€™m going to try just letting the display shut off with the lid open and see if it continues downloading.

Regarding the lock screen it is common, your desktop should be running in the background.

Maybe you need to restart, but surely is not a laptop thing.

I just wanted to report back that everything went smoothly. All wallets are now minting blocks. Thank you to @ttutdxh, @sportscliche and others who helped me in this thread.

Iā€™m off work for the next 11 days, so Iā€™m going to use my time to catch up on everything that has been going on here over the last couple months.

1 Like