[obsolete] Motion to link reputed signers reward to B&C exchange revenue

Calculactory costs are costs that not necessarily apply, but that need to be considered like calculatory costs of a shop someone owns and uses instead of renting it to someone else.
The calculatory cost of using the own shop is the money that is not earned for renting it to someone else.

The same applies to the security deposit. Whether or not the deposited BKS need to be purchased just because of the signer job is not important for the calculatory cost; the money is frozen, minting can’t be cone with the BKS, selling them isn’t possible in this state. his creates calculatory costs.

The server needs to be way bigger. Imagine a signer doing the job for BTC, LTC and DOGE. All blockchains need to be on the file system. You need more complex backup strategies, because you don’t want to sync the blockchains each time you reinstall the server. Taking a snapshot of the blockchain while the Bitcoin wallet is running is not that easy - is it?
It might require more skill, money and regular maintenance.

Can you give a demo of a hypothetical signer’s calculactory costs?

It can’t be more expensive than running another signer’s rig in hot stand-by mode, which is nother $20/mo ?

How often do you expect recurring reinstall to happen anyway? Once a month ? Doesn’t sound like a stable system. Periodical restart maybe. Server re-install?

Deposit of 250 BKS required. Market value 1000 NBT.
No minting reward: some percent per year (depending on the minting rate)
No chance to sell the BKS at 1000 NBT and earn money (e.g. for providing liquidity for Nu, investing in the traditional stock market etc.). This amount highly depends on the investment profile and risk; can very well be several percent per year.
No chance to sell the BKS while they are used as security deposit: no way to sell them in case BKS demand and price spikes. Depends on the (temporary) gains of BKS value.

I can only give you a rough estimation of the calculatory costs in the range of “several” to “quite many” percent per year, because it depends on so many factors.
But the bigger the total amount of deposited security the bigger the calculatory costs.

All that should be considered by people applying to a signer position.

I don’t know how difficult it will really be to run a “signer” server. I wouldn’t have dared to try that with a pool server.
So I might be the wrong person to assess the technical complexity and effort of such operation :wink:
…it matches my skill level to run some liquidity pool bots :wink:

any evidence for that?

Except for not being able to mint ( ~5% reward pa), this cost is about the same as committing the BKS to minting. That was what I meant.

From here, and posts leading to it, the recurring cost is mostly renting the VPS and leaving it humming.

Nope, in fact the lost minting reward is real cost. Trapped funds still generate calculatory costs, because you can’t do with them what you might want to do.

So Now I have a long time idle Mac Machine, and some BKS. Internet access is 10M optical, alreasy paid. Can I apply a reputed signer? What kind of CPU required?Dual or Quad cores?

I think the signers employee market determined by Supply and Demand. When a company kick start, we shareholders had better to do something by ourselves. If more than 10 BKS holders wanna become signers, enough.

Bitshare dumped every month, as punctual as women’s period. BitShares Asset Exchange delivery date is fixed.
101 delegates are rewarded with extra BTS, am I right?

Exactly this is what I expect to happen :wink:
Their economical incentive to provide the exchange with signers is so big that the calculatory costs of doing that will likely be dwarfed by it

When B&C begin to work, I’ll try to become a reputed signer and will know how much it will cost me.

It’s convenient for you if you only have to face sunken costs.
That doesn’t make my calculation wrong, though :wink:

If one wants to pull the deposit and be off-line from the pool of available signers for a month, why is it not possible?
Plus it is possible that the shareholders waive the deposite for those candidates they really want.
Anyway I don’t think calculatory cost is a serious concern.

I don’t understand a signer’s position as something than can be left and resumed that easy.
What would you do if a significant amount of signers would leave that way?
How to get the funds in the multi signature addresses moved then?
No, signing needs to be a reliable ongoing job.

No, it isn’t - but a calculatory concern.
I think I’m going to stop here. The point is clear and it’s obviously no reason that can stop someone from applying to a signer’s job.