Minting is necessary for every shareholders?

I think this is a quite good idea!
Minting with an abstain vote being the standard vote unless configured differently would help securing the block chain without making votes hard to pass because of void votes.
I can imagine that there are people who want to participate in Nu financially without the desire to participate in decisions. As they have an economical incentive to mint this will lead to void votes or votes which are not based on educated decisions.

• One way to treat that would be the Bitshares model with delegated votes, but I honestly donā€™t like that very much due to the unnecessary centralization to the delegates.

• Differentiating between blocks with votes and blocks without votes would be another way.

To pass a motion or custodian vote the ratio would not be x1 % blocks out of y1 blocks, but x2 % blocks out of y2 blocks containing votes (being no ā€˜abstainā€™ blocks).
The park rate voting would be done in the same way.

If y2 did stay the same number as y1 is, the voting would take longer (because of the ā€˜abstainā€™ vote blocks), but I donā€™t think that would be too bad.
Lowering y2 below y1 could be used to mitigate that effect.

It would be horrible to end up in a situation in which itā€™d be too late to change the voting mechanism, because of a continuous majority of void votes!

I canā€™t estimate how big the change to the protocol is, but I think it is worth discussing this change, because it would decouple the minting (which is essential for block chain security) from voting (essential for development/decisions).

1 Like