Do you want to create OS X builds?

hm, weird, i had to delete the blockchain and start again and it does seem to work much faster.

I am very happy to see this @backpacker. The team is discussing how we can invite you to help us on a regular basis and we will be contacting you shortly.

2 Likes

finally finished syncing the Nu blockchain, it seems like there’s an absolute boatload of ORPHANS that have to be dealt with during initial sync, does anyone know why?

im guessing because the 1 minute block spacing?

of course shorter block period increases likelihood of orphans, but why would they be sent during initial sync? shouldn’t they have been long forgotten?

We’ve had multiple discussions about how to proceed and unfortunately, we cannot come up with a solution.

The nature of the problem is that creating a build requires quite a bit of trust. It would be easy to add code to the build that sent private keys to a remote database, for instance. We can’t seem to coordinate the work of experts like @backpacker with people we trust like sigmike in a way that produces secure builds.

The developers we trust know nothing about OS X. This is an open source project working on decentralised infrastructure. Our culture revolves around the values associated with Linux and is far from the centrally controlled world of Apple. With a small team and small budget, this has been difficult for us to manage, as all OS X users of NuBits and B&C Exchange are aware.

There is no question in my mind that NuBits and B&C Exchange should support OS X. It is equally clear that neither myself nor anyone on the team can make the builds. I am utterly ignorant of all things Apple and as a result have nothing to offer in this effort. But the code is open source, so anyone anywhere on the planet can make OS X builds at any time, as @backpacker has demonstrated. Trusted builds are another matter.

The combination of the fact that the source code needed to create builds is completely accessible to all at all times and that our team has no expertise in OS X builds means the responsibility for creating OS X builds should be outsourced beyond the team.

I am happy to facilitate payment to someone creating OS X builds from development funds for each organization, but that will be the extent of my involvement and responsibility for OS X builds. I won’t be making any attempts to coordinate OS X builds going forward. As a decentralised organization, that responsibility can and should be taken up by others.

Can we compile bcexchanged daemon on Mac OS since Mac OS is indeed a Unix system?
We can easily port apt-get on Mac OS even a jailbreak iOS device. Both iOS and Mac OS’s core(Darwin) is open sourced, with many other open softwares like Ruby、Python、Perl, and SWIFT language +LLVM complier are also open source.

1. Please MoD or others write a mannual on how to creat a command line for Mac OS.
  2. Could @backpacker wirte a instruction of how to build a QT GUI version on Mac OS? It takes less than 1 hour for u to finish it, so I guess the procedure is not very difficult. And what compensation do you wanna to finish that compiling handbook?I guess NBT or BKS may sent to you.

It would be easy to add code to the build that sent private keys to a remote database, for instance.

@JordanLee , Theoritically, our B&C website can also be hacked, and the Linux/Windows QT versions are also prone to this kind of risk. So, can you provide a mannual on how to build QT app on these platforms? I suggest big B&C holders build their own application from source codes by themselves.

Alas, I have no affiliation with Apple products - never owned one, never will.
Apple might offer convenient, sophisticated and technologically sound products, but I can’t get along with the ideology…

Ok, I’ll try to use “apt-get” to complie a daemon on Macbook.

BTW, u don’t need to buy a hardware from apple, Hacintosh is good.

I think the Apple hardware always is a fine piece of tech.
Only I don’t like how closed the operating systems (iOS, MacOS) are.
But I don’t want to sidetrack this thread with resentments :wink:

really? a mouse with just one button? how, why, … it hurts my hand just thinking of it

I agree that running any kind of software requires trust, downloading applications from the internet and running on your computer always irked me myself and many others no doubt. Best thing is to review the source and compile it yourself, of course. However, it is difficult to expect many people to invest so much of their time in order to become proficient enough to build open source software with numerous dependencies including qt. Exchange with such high requirements for entry won’t receive much business.

Instructions on how to set up the build system are more or less up to date in your documentation, carefully following them is all that’s needed and takes only few hours depending on your existing level of knowledge. I am not really sure if my report of doing it would be helpful to others, since everyone is missing different bits of information in their head while attempting to set up.

What I do offer is to provide regular builds of your organisations software until you have set your own macosx machine in the cloud, that I can help set up to build new releases. I’ve spent some time on the project so far and still willing to do more if community needs it and is willing to compensate the efforts as was stated in original post. Like I said before, I do hope that your organisations are successful, because the success would most likely be passed on to parent projects.

1 Like

There is no official binary download for RaspberryPi now, but some of share holders have set up their minting machine via an instruction.

I believe your QT@MacOS compiling handbook espically with screenshot is useful for some B&C shareholders, this is business, since they’ve put quite some money into such company, trying to learn some knowledge is natual.

Linux users are usually only 3-5% among PC users, so why B&C provide Linux QT version to them? Because it’s good manner to provide service to minority.

With this guide
https://docs.nubits.com/nu-raspberry-minting/
it’s possible for not savvy users to compile a binary for RaspberryPi.
Once NuBox is ready it will be even easier.
The guide can be used for both compiling nud and bcexchanged. The adjustments for compiling the BCE code with the Nu guide should be possible for the average Joe.

That number is likely not representative when it comes to cryptocoins.
When I set up my first miner for BTC, I found that doing that with Linux is much easier.
I bet other cryptocurrency enthusiasts experienced the same - dealing with cryptocurrencies is quite easy if you run them on Linux.
The compiling environment is fully included in the OS out of the box.

That number is likely not representative when it comes to cryptocoins.
When I set up my first miner for BTC, I found that doing that with Linux is much easier.
I bet other cryptocurrency enthusiasts experienced the same - dealing with cryptocurrencies is quite easy if you run them on Linux.
The compiling environment is fully included in the OS out of the box.

B&C will not be successful if our customers are not ordinary people who use windows, android, iOS mostly.

It seems that it cost none to compile a iOS /Mac OS app on your own device if you have an apple ID. Don’t need to put it on App store(iphone, Mac), just let every user complie for himself/herself.

Breadwallet,on idevice, open source project.

I believe shareholders will pay u if you make an open source iphone project like breadwallet, and this makes B&C much more popular than any desktop QT versions can. You need to design the iphone GUI by youself and reference the hard-core B&C codes(Jordan Sigmike’s).

I’ll originate a NBT grant for u on this forum, how much do you need?

As long as they know when to mint and when not to it’s no problem.
If they don’t, they are a danger, but that danger can be mitigated.
I won’t be babying people on that level.
Vitualbox is freely available for Windows. Minting on Android/iOS was never supported.
Running Linux on it is no rocket science.

If you buy a car, but can’t drive it, you either let others drive it or better don’t move it - or they learn how to drive!
Driving it yourself without being capable of it is dangerous (for themselves and for others) and irresponsible.
If that sort of drivers doesn’t act reasonably, this needs to have consequences.

I believe the easiest devices are andriod/ios devices, even old people/kids can use them!

I am learning the iphone programing, for me, the GUI design part is not difficult, but to import the C++ codes. Perhaps this work is easy for @backpacker.

Using them - maybe yes.
Keeping them safe (regular security updates for Android?) or compiling code for them - maybe no.
Cryptocurrency apps have a hard time at both the Android and the Apple app store.
So you will likely end up with compiling them yourself.

I believe that Linux (on a desktop computer, laptop computer or any other hardware or on a virtual machine) is the first choice when dealing with cryptocurrencies for several reasons:

• very secure by design
  • compiling code possible out of the box
  • binaries at least for x86/x64 architecture normally provided by the projects
  • sometimes even included in a repo making installation and updates a no-brainer

Tell me - would you rather adjust a sound system to flawed behaviour or vice versa?

Don’t forget today is mobile era, so will tomorrow. If u wanna our customers pay NBT/BKC in supermarket or other daily life situations, plz provide phone app, PC is totally unacceptable in these senarios.