Marketing Roadmap - Imagine Nu: 2016

As part of brainstorming for our marketing roadmap, I would like to introduce two unique scenario-writing exercises to the community – Imagine Nu: 2016 and Imagine Nu: 2020

The goal of these exercises will be to write short (or long) scenarios that imagine a future one year from now (2016) or five years from now (2020) where NuBits and NuShares are used.

These types of exercises are common in strategic innovation discovery in the private sector and I’ve used them successfully in my past work. At the conclusion of each scenario you identify a short bullet-point list of opportunities. It is a quick way to identify the partnerships, technologies, and big ideas that are available to be capitalized on. The next step after these scenarios will be to dream of ways to design these new experiences.

Because every member of the community brings a different viewpoint and set of life experiences, sharing a scenario publicly is an effective way of generating actionable discussion.

You shouldn’t need to worry about being criticized for suggesting something unimaginably ambitious, or for suggesting something insignificant. Nor should you worry about the quality of your writing skills. All that matters is that you activate your mind and imagine a future where Nu is used as a tool of value. Any negative comments that don’t add to the discussion of a particular scenario will be quickly deleted, but of course constructive criticism is encouraged.

I’ll start things off with my first scenario below. I hope others will write as they have the time, and will consider making comments about scenarios that others share with the community.

SCENARIO 01

–Copyright The Associated Press, 2016

By Lisa Thompson, Washington D.C.

For the past couple decades, retailers and suppliers have relied on a very predictable model of selling goods. A customer enters the store (or in recent history, accesses an online store), spends an unknown amount of time deliberating a purchase, and then either purchases the product or exits (or logs out from) the store. Secondary activities such as advertising and post-purchase follow-up sometimes occur, but the entire routine is very predictable.

Massive amounts of time and money are spent facilitating each step of these purchases. What if steps in the chain could be removed, thereby decreasing expenses for retailers and enhancing the customer experience?

This is at the core of what the NuBits “Merchant Support” team has been trying to accomplish the past six months. NuBits is a stable digital currency that has maintained a $1.00 US value since its release a year and a half ago, and has quickly become a competitor with Bitcoin in the digital currency payments space.

The NuBits “Merchant Support” team has partnered with Subway restaurants to create an app that allows customers to order sandwiches in advance of arriving at a restaurant. I met up with local Nu developer Ben Rossi to try the app out.

“The first step is download Subway’s “NuBites” NuBits app.” says Ben. “It’s free, and works well on the Galaxy S8 mobile phone I’m using right now”. He hands me the phone and I’m greeted with a Subway logo and pleasant music. After clicking on the logo, some green text appears that says “Step 1: Find Your Location”. I click the nearest Subway restaurant logo on the Google maps layout. The app zooms in, and an identical screen pops up again, but this time with a “Step 2: Place Your Order” button displayed.

I click it, and the screen is divided up into 6 categories: sandwiches, soups, salads, cookies, drinks, and other. In the rush to fight through D.C. traffic I had neglected to eat lunch, so I clicked “sandwiches”.

Six sandwiches popped up on the screen, with arrows at the bottom indicating there were a couple other pages to choose from. Hunger was not my friend, so I decided on a hearty steak and cheese sandwich. The next screen asked for me to choose my bread (whole wheat), and the next screen asked whether I wanted it toasted or not. After that, I was presented with 8 potential things to add to my sandwich (I chose cucumbers, spinach, and avocado). The last screen asked if I wanted to make it a combo, to which I declined.

The whole process took me less than two minutes to navigate through. So what happens next?

“That’s the best part!” exclaimed Ben. “You can see on the map that we’re a three-minute walk from Subway. Let’s go there, and I’ll show you something amazing.”

Just prior to entering the Subway store, Ben clicked on the “Make Payment – 9.85 NBT” button on the NuBites app. A QR code popped up. Ben walked up to the counter, scanned his QR code at a small terminal by the cash register, and was handed my sandwich. The amazing thing? He didn’t stop walking. He literally walked in and out of the store with the sandwich I ordered.

After demolishing the sandwich in less time than I care to admit, I reflected with Ben on what had just happened. From my perspective I had ordered my sandwich in a quicker, more convenient way and avoided wasting time standing in line creating my sandwich and paying. From Subway’s perspective, they had less traffic in the store, didn’t have to handle money, and created a happier customer.

My brow furrowed. This seemed too easy. What’s the catch?

“Well”, said Ben, “you paid a 5-cent transaction fee on that purchase. That’s about a 0.5% transaction fee. It’s how the Nu network remains profitable and manages the supply of NuBits. The great thing is that it’s far less than the 2-3% fees credit card companies charge. Stores will likely happily subsidize this transaction fee by giving you a 5 cent (or 0.05 NBT) discount on your purchase because it speeds up their operations."

And there you have it. Digital currencies are not without their drawbacks, namely that there is no protection against theft, but then again neither does cash. NuBits are a quicker, more mobile form of cash that can be sent for pennies to anyone worldwide who has a free NuBits wallet on their phone. I thanked Ben for his time, and made a mental note that I might be making use of NuBites more often when I’m in a rush.

OPPORTUNITIES/TRENDS: Mobile payments, quick-release merchant purchasing, purchase freedom (location, convenience), transaction fees

4 Likes

2016: Aftermath of the great crypto war.

In 2015, a great debate ravaged the world of cryptocurrency. The old guard, Bitcoin, was considerably more powerful than its most recent challenger. Having slain countless foes before, the Bitcoin community paid little heed in the beginning. It seemed unfathomable that such a small upstart could ultimately triumph. The conflict was fraught with peril and frustration. Bitcoin fanatics spread false rumors and untrue statements about the Nu Network. Despite the difficulties, determined advocates of nu pushed forward. Defenders of nu honed their arguments, improved their promotions, and continued to reach out to all who would listen. Over time, the more intelligent and open minded members of the crypto world began to accept the arguments for nu. The bitcoin community started to turn on itself, arguing over inherent weaknesses in the protocol. Speculators were the amongst the first to transition; they couldn’t ignore the meteoric rise in NuShare value. The cautious and conservative bitcoin investors soon followed, and began to diversify into nu. Although many in the bitcoin community continued to resist for various ideological reasons, outside investors overwhelming chose nu.

In 2016, the nu network is rising rapidly in value and utility. Several great and exciting projects are funded by shareholders and venture capitalists. Tipping and crowd funding services are amongst the most popular utilities for NuBits. Forward thinking social networks have directly integrated support for NuBit tips, which facilitates greater functionality and popularity. Content creators flock to websites that promote NuBit tipping and crowd funding.

Cryptocurrency investors trust NuBits to be relatively safe and reliable. They have now maintained a near perfect peg for almost 2 years. Exchanging other cryptocurrencies for NuBits has become a popular strategy when markets are unstable or unclear. This has become especially attractive as the nu network has convinced exchanges to lower trading fees on account of NuBit stability. NuBits are increasingly favored for complex long term transactions, as they are more trusted to maintain value than other cryptocurrencies capable of blockchain enforced execution. Furthermore, due to their stability, NuBits are preferred for colored coins. Early experiments of decentralized colorcoin-based stock exchanges are under way.

Remittance is considered by many to be the next great utility of NuBits. Nu shareholders are funding the creation of efficient, low cost exchanges between NuBits and local currencies in attractive markets. There is much discussion about whether or not to create pegged currencies for other major currencies.

Nushares have increased tremendously in value, and the nu network now has a multi billion dollar market capitalization. Members of the financial world are either excited or concerned about nu, depending on whether they are in a position to profit. As the nu network increases in value, its ability to fund expansion dramatically accelerates.

Opportunities: Remittance, safe haven for cryptocurrency investors, tipping, crowd funding, payment systems, decentralized markets, messaging systems, and social networks.

Trends: Nu shareholders successfully capturing positive externalities resulting in significant competitive advantages over key competitors.

1 Like

Two good ones so far
@tomjoad - I believed all, apart from the bit when @Ben called the subway app ‘NuBites’ :smiley:
@GreatLogic - I read yours in the voice of Sarah Conner from the start of Terminator 2. good stuff.

I’ll post back here when I’ve had a chance to properly write something down and proof it.

@CoinGame has been dreaming of the day when his NuBites sandwich shop will get off the ground, I thought it was appropriate to make my first scenario an homage to his idea.

I moved a post to an existing topic: Marketing Roadmap - Imagine Nu: 2020

1 Like

I’m still like 90% sure I will make NuBites a real thing.

1 Like

@CoinGame - You better had!

Here’s my 2016.

Back in 2014 when Nu was just starting off, Bitcoin was the big player and that is where the bulk of infrastructure development work lay. There were payment processors, a multitude of wallet options, block explorers galore and many open source libraries so that developers could easily add Bitcoin support to what ever project they wanted, in whatever programming language they wanted. Because of these libraries, Bitcoin was the easy crypto-currency choice for developers of new services and apps.
As big money arrived on the scene however, there became too many vested interests in the BTC status quo and the very innovation that these open libraries enabled was stiffled.
Lucky then that during the doldrum days of Bitcoin, the Nu team had been hard at work porting those very same libraries to support NuBits, NuShares and the later Nu currencies.
With them, a Java developer could drop a copy of the nuj library into their project and begin accepting NuBits. A Python developer could import the py-nutools module and read their recent transactions. A web wallet dev could link to nujs and trust that NBT address generation would be handled correctly and securely.
While the code base of the core Nu client is open source now in 2016, it remained closed until the 3rd quarter of 2015. While concern was expressed about the closed nature of Nu in some quarters, once it was realised that interaction with the Nu network could take place through libraries built and sanctioned by the same dev team that built the original client, these criticisms largely fell quiet. Development work of auxilliary application could continue as though the source were open and once the competitive advantage of those developments were felt, the NuShare holders felt much more comfortable about opening up the source code. The last vote to open the source code passed with no issue.

Opportuinities: By providing the correct tools to developers we can ignite interest in the Nu network and make it more likely that external devs will create wonderful things. These libraries already form the basic foundations of pretty much every major Bitcoin project you can name. If we can port them and support them for Nu, we can attract the same interest and momentum.

3 Likes

An unsung hero in the post-Gaston recovery in the Caribbean: NuBits

December 23, 2016 - Nassau, Bahamas

Who would have thought the rise of the functional cryptocurrency economy would have emerged from the wake of the unprecedented destruction seen in the Caribbean post hurricane Gaston.

When Nassau was left without power, the conveniences of modern life – including banking – simply came to a halt. In the early days, it was all about recovery and simply making it to the next day. But as days became weeks and weeks became months, society needed to get back on its feet.

It started simply enough – a “Help Bahamas” campaign, driven by passionate members of the NuBIts community who raised a 7-figure amount of money from all over the world. Members of the NuBits community made their way to the battered island, and coordinated with rescue personnel to see how the funds could be used and distributed.

But a funny thing happened: with the banks being shut down, and the postal system in tatters, there was no way to get the dollars to the Caribbean. The NuBits community members providing a “physical exchange” for dollars to NuBits – buying the NuBits from the community and handing out their own physical dollars to the recovery workers. The banks were still boarded up, but as they were in the most central parts of town, and being well protected by police, it seemed to be the safest meeting place to conduct these transactions.

Soon enough, the island recovery workers benefiting from these donations realized that they could download the Android or iPhone app and exchange NuBits amongst themselves for necessary goods, services, and tools, not having to spend precious time traveling to these “Nu Banks”, but knowing they could be done if necessary. Even on the mobile network that was still reeling, people were able to make transactions, since as it turns out cryptocurrency exchanges don’t use much more bandwidth than a lengthy text message.

The “NuBanks” were short lived temporary analog establishments, but it served its purpose. Nowadays Island inhabitants with NuBits who want to exchange dollars can do so on line, or at some physical shops. Ironically there is more “buying” of NuBits there than selling of them – proof that the island continues on its voyage to digital.

Since the currencies in the Caribbean are often pegged to the dollar just like NuBits, it was easy for the island inhabitants to understand how to move money around – no complex ratios or conversions based on exchange rates. In fact most people had not even heard of NuBits predecessor – Bitcoin – proof that there are still large areas of the world that could benefit from a stable cryptocurrency.

The islands will be rebuilt. And now one of those bricks is cryptocurrency. It will be interesting to see if the “booting up” of a functioning crypto economy will spread to other parts of the New World.

2 Likes

Nice job @GreatLogic, @woolly_sammoth and @woodstockmerkle! It’s clear you’ve understood the exercise well. I enjoyed reading your scenarios - with three short entries the magnitude of possibility is already obvious.

3 months to go before 2016.
Great things have happened in 2015 for Nu, so far. Increasing liquidity, robust network, several exchanges trading NuBits, the peg was perfectly maintained for 1 year, decentralized pools, the code was opened source etc…
Still, internet payment using nubits is almost non existent, remittance is non existent, the nushares prices has been stable…
What is your feeling so far?

1 Like